GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, looking at some trailer hitch for my NEW 2008 GL1800 which is due into the dealer on Tuesday. The Add-On hitch looks pretty simple but I really do not know. Any opinions (like there aren't any;)) out there on a good functional trailer hitch?
TIA

·
Canuck
2,841 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. When I looked at hitches, the two that were recommended most frequently on this board were Bushtec and Rivco. I believe that is because they attach to the frame of the bike.

·
Registered
170 Posts
My $.02. Don't ever attach a trailer hitch to anything other than the frame, car or motorcycle.

·
Registered
518 Posts
+1 on the Add-On. They are made by Dauntless. I've had two and they are stout. Friend of mine had a Bushtec and bent it. He did have lots of tongue weight tho.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
CHeck the trailer forum for lots of advice. Alll this advice seems to boil down to two choice

Bushtec and Rivco

Bushtec is a good hitch, it secures to the main frame of the motorcycle. It is made of steel. Bushtec hitches can be purchased with the standard ball or the bushtec "pin"/heim joint.

Rivco also has it's followers. It too mounts to the main frame, the hitch is aluminum therefore a few pounds lighter, some think this is a good feature. The Rivco hitch needs to go THROUGH the rear fender so you will need to cut a hole in the fender of your new motorcycle to allow the hitch to be installed.

In my opinion either of these will serve you well, it is a matter of personal preference

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hitch

I'm completly Happy with my Rivco, you don't chop your rear fender up, you simply cut a slot out behind the reflector for the draw bar to go thru. When the draw bar is not in, you slide the reflector back in and you can't even tell the bike has a hitch on it. +1 RIVCO....John :biker:

·
Registered
343 Posts
I went with Rivco. I have always thought they had good quality products. I think they have the lightest hitch - aircraft aluminum.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I have a Bushtec and am happy, but forum memeber "Coolhand" did a great presentation on the Rivcos and their advantages. You might want to do a search, then decide. He makes alot of good points

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Hitch-Doc was my choice and I am very happy with it. I pull a camper and I wanted a hitch that attaches to the mainframe with vertical supports. Only three hitches on the market provide that:

Hitch-Doc

Bushtec

Rivco

You can't go wrong with either of the above choices. I would not use a hitch that uses the subframe for support. With the Hitch-Doc when the hitch ball is removed from the vertical receiver the hitch is not visible, also the receiver is easily removed for rear wheel takeoff. Hitch-doc also has the anti rattle feature which works great no cuts to make in the tupperware is another plus. I believe the bushtec offers these features, not sure about rivco. JMHO

Good luck with your choice.

Fred

07 Blue Wing/Mini-Mate camper

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
+1 on the Add-On. They are made by Dauntless.
I believe a more accurate statement would be Add-On COPIED the Dauntless hitch.

Bushtec is the standard all others are measured against, excellent hitch.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I went with Add On hitch because I can pull out stumps with it..It's built that tough!
I love the look on my neighbors faces when they watch me in action.

That's no wimp Metzler tire on there either!

·
Registered
271 Posts
we installed 42 add-on hitches in '08...seems to be the best hitch for the $$...customers pull from heavy camper to ice chest on the hitches...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts