GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 1800 goldwing and my SO and I want to do some traveling this summer and can use our friends trailer. So I need to buy a hitch. I see hitches on e-bay for $140 (I think those are Add Ons) up to $275 for Kuryakyns. The Kuryakyns attached to the rear crash bars and the Add On don't look like they do. How important is this and are there any other our there just as good or better? Any info will help

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jim,
I have the Elite Hitch on my bike and works great,it also mounts to the side bag frame,but you would have to rip the whole rear of the bike off to break that hitch. This hitch is very strong,and affordable. http://elitetrenchers.com then click on motorcycl;e products
Don :lol:

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Don,

I think it to be poor taste to come to this board to try to sell your product when the sponsor does not. Your post appears to take the appearance of a member when in fact you are the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
You tell 'em, Lewis!
There are Numerous excellent Hitches available for the wing. I have NO experience with the Elite, or the Add-on, but the four most recognized are the Bushtec, Kuryakyn, Dauntless, and Hitch-doc. HDL sells at least 2 of these and one or 2 others. The price range you found will put all of these into your budget.
I have the Kuryakyn on mine and am COMPLETELY satisfied with it. However, if I knew about the Bushtec when I was shopping for a Hitch, I would have gone that route.
All the major manufacturers use a minimum of 6 frame/subframe attachment points. Kuryakyn chose the rear highwaybars instead of the lower frame point for customer ease of installation. In my opinion, just as strong for almost all purposes.
Hitches like all other "what do you think of ..." queries will produce numerous responses, but it's what you think is the best overall for you.

Hope that helped you a little.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't fool around with a "cheap" hitch. It's pretty important to get a good quality hitch. That's why I bought the Bushtec hitch (with isolator). IMO... Bushtec has the best hitch out there. The isolator is necessary on our GL1800's (especially with ABS) to keep the electronics isolated from the trailer wiring.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Jim S, There are basically three engineering approaches to the GL1800 trailer hitch.

One design mounts the hitch to the Saddlebag/Trunk subframe. Honda designed the Saddlebag/Trunk subframe in aluminum with a component weight of 6 pounds and a burden rating of 40 pounds. Attaching the hitch to the subftame as a burden point is the weakest design and could cause structural fatigue over time to the subframe and/or the frame cross members due to the constant "working" of the subframe from the hitch and tralier/carrier related burden.

A second design attaches at two lower frame mounts with the burden point remaining mounted on the subframe. From an engineering point of view this design is only marginally better than the first design.

The best design is where the hitch has a minimum of four FRAME mounts distributing the burden directly to the frame without any subframe involvement other than stabilizing laterial movement. This design places all traler hitch and related dynamic burden onto the frame, eliminating any concern for longterm structural concerns.

Finally, The price of a GL1800 hitch may include value added extras such as Electronic Isolator Relay Package, Stainless steel ball, hitch head locking mechanism or other items which justify a higher retail price. A trailer hitch is not an item that should be bought simply because it is the lowest price. The trailer hitch buyer MUST evaluate the application the hitch will be put to and then buy as much hitch as one can afford.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
OK, here goes.. I might get flamed for this but the gentleman asked.

I was guided to the Bushtec Hitch by a good friend who has been riding for over 40 years. If I remember correctly it was the Deluxe mode. It included a stainless 1 7/8 ball and the wiring isolater which you will need for wiring up a trailer properly. I thought a first the price was kind of high, but as usual you get what you pay for.

It took two of us about 2 hours to install, that included all of the wiring.

I am not a structural engineer in any way but I do like the way it is mounted. I have pulled two different brands of trailers with it so far: (Escapade and Starlight) and have been very happy with it.

If you remove the receiver you cannot even tell there is a hitch on the bike.

I do know that if I purchased another bike of another brand the first thing I would look for if I had to have a hitch is the Bushtec.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Remember that if important for you to be able to remove the rear tire without a lift then you need a hitch with a removable back plate. Dauntless was first with this technology. I have one and am thankfull every time I remove the rear tire in the garage without a lift. I can highly recommend Dauntless hitch and isolator trailor wire system.

G

·
I purchased a used Nline hitch on ebay last year. Mounting took less than 15 minutes and with the removal of only 4 bolts the wheel is easily removed. The hitch seems well built and very sturdy. Just a worthy option to consider.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought the Bushtec. It is the best but there is some compromise. The size of the opening of the Bushtec receiver is slightly smaller then normal so if you dont have a Bushtec product it wont fit in the receiver and they dont tell you that when you buy it... Second you have to raise the back end of the bike or have a special lift to remove the rear tire, they dont tell you that either. If and when I buy another I would do more research. I like the Elite and the Dauntless and some others... do some research and buy the best you can afford. Dont buy the cheapest...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Lucky Wilber, The material Bushtec uses for the receiver and head assembly is industry standard 1 1/4", nothing special. We do, however, tolerance fit components to eliminate play between the parts. Most competitive components should fit our hitch without issue.

The redesigned V.2 Bushtec GL1800 Vertical Receiver Hitch is fully removable to accommodate rear tire removal when on the center stand, no raising or lift required.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I had a NON Bushtec hitch on my '94 wing and thought it was a good one until it came apart.

Had a Bushtec on my '99 wing and now have one on my '03.

It just doesn't get any better, and the company service is without a doubt excellent.

·
Registered
55 Posts
John, Thanks for the reply. When I bought my Bushtec hitch nothing
1 1/4" fit into the receiver including Chef's Golf platform. I called you and asked about that problem, remember... You said your hitch size and receiver was made for your products and was brand specific.

As I bought my hitch about a year ago I don't have the redesigned model. I guess I was upset because I was not told about these problems at the time...

Glad to hear that the tire problem is now solved by Bushtec...

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
[i John,
I was beginning to wonder where you went. It's nice to have you around to keep the facts straight. I know most of the time people have very good intentions, but a slight error in the facts can be misleading. Thanks for keeping us a little smarter.[/i]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts