GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have a 2005 Wing and I'd like to add a hitch. My question for you fine folks is, is there a significant difference between the manufacturers? I know more mounting points are better, but I don't know if there is a quantitive difference between Rivco, Add-on, Kyuryakin, or Show Chrome. Any advise is appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Rivco on my 06. I liked it because it has 4 points of mounting and the aluminum saves on weight but still provide the strength needed. Pull a trailer with mine have have not had any problems.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Both Rivco and Bushtec use the 4 point main frame mounting. The rest use 2 point main frame and subframe.
I have on both of my 1800's and never had any problems. Installation is a bit time consuming, but not all that hard. Both are higher priced than the others, but they do not put any stress on the subframe.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I have a Rivco due to the 4 point mounting. It has helped when towing loads I shouldn't be trying to pull.. Not a hard install and I feel more secure with this setup..

Reactions: Wild Turkey

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
After looking at all the available hitches I chose to install the Bushtec because I liked the way it was made and the way it attached to the motorcycle. After 100K miles pulling my trailer with it I am happy with the choice I made.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Bushtec on my '04. No problems pulling my Kwik Kamp trailer. Easy installation as my instructions were spot on.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
If pulling a heavy camp trailer I would stick strictly with the 2 that use 4 point mounts to the MAIN frame. For small/light trailers and/or just using for a hitch rack, duffle bag, etc. the 2 MAIN frame with subframe mount hitches are adequate. If you just plain want high end, get one of the 2 that are 4 point mounts to the MAIN frame.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Since 2001, I've used both Rivco and Bushtec hitches to pull CSC Escapade trailers and Hannigan Sierra trailers. Both worked fine
and If I put a hitch on my 2018, it would be one of those.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I had a Rivco on our 2001 Wing and it worked great. I liked it because of the 4 point mounting to the frame and the light weight.

We have a Kuryakyn on our 2006. It attaches to the rear crash bars and the saddlebag sub frame. I picked it up used in this forum classifieds for like 100 bucks. I figured if it didn't work well I could sell it.

It works fine for our Unigo. I notice no difference from the Rivco.

That being said I think the Rivco and Bushtec are much sturdier hitches.

Sent from my cellphone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for your comments, I just picked up a (we think) bushtec hitch from a member here for a sweet deal! You guys are great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts