GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a trailer about 2-3 weeks a year. Dilemma, lack of storage for it can't really justify tying up a couple thousand dollars for that amount of time.

Thought #1: Anyone in the north Texas area willing to split cost on a Bushtec so neither of us have a lot of capital tied up?

Thought #2: Any interest in renting one if I did buy one on my own? Would probably be a $500 damage deposit and a daily rental fee.

Thought #3: Any one have a Bushtec, Hannigan, Escapade in north Texas that #2 would interest you?

Thought #4: Any other options that I have not thought of?

Thanks for your thoughtful responses :coffee1:

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I see a business opportunity here.:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Thought #1: Anyone in the north Texas area willing to split cost on a Bushtec so neither of us have a lot of capital tied up?
Get an Alumina trailer at less than half the cost of the Bushtec and it is all yours at less money out of your pocket ..... store it by hanging it from the garage ceiling ... others on the board have done rope/pulleys to do it that way.

·
Registered
326 Posts
There used to be a guy in the mid cities that sold trailers and he also rented them. I think he was in Hurst.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
There is a Escapde for sale in our local Thrifty Nickle(American Classified) for $1800.00. Looks like a Good Deal. Zip area is 75570

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Took me just a couple of weeks to find a nice used cargo trailer on Craigslist. Let me have it for $500. Good tires, freshly packed wheel bearings and even a spare.

Look around they are out there. Hard times for some folks can work out to your advantage if you keep a look out.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Be very careful about renting a trailer. If you do, and that trailer fails for any reason, or some hot shot lawyer convinces a jury that your trailer was the cause of an accident, YOU will be on the hook for the damages.

If I owned a business that makes trailers available, I'd SELL the trailer to them via an AS-IS sale with no guarantees expressed or implied, and buy it back from them at an amount reduced by the agreed "usage depreciation," provided they sold it back to me in good working condition. If they buy it and something happens, well, it is their vehicle!

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
Be very careful about renting a trailer. If you do, and that trailer fails for any reason, or some hot shot lawyer convinces a jury that your trailer was the cause of an accident, YOU will be on the hook for the damages.
Prezacktly why when I get rid of my Wing, the hitch and trailer I made stays behind. I don't care how you try to word the sale, if what you built was connected to the bike during an accident, some slick Willy will make it your fault.

This is the reason my father in law wouldn't sell any of the planes he built and flew until he was terminally ill. He figured nobody would dig him up to sue him.

No disrespect meant gravedigger. :p

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
A brand new Piggy Backer or Harbor Freight trailer will cost you well under $1,000 and, in my opinion, are worth the money. Or, really nice used trailers can be found for a few hundred dollars.

For as much as I use one, I couldn't justify spending $4,000 for a trailer either, but for $600, my Piggy Backer does everything I need it to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts