GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a trip planned for June to the Black Hills with the family. Taking the bike but am not looking to ride behind/in front of my wife for the @1600 (one way) miles. So I had a oem hitch installed on the new Passport. Now I am looking at trailers. I have other needs for the trailer so it will see some other uses beyond towing the bike but nothing larger or heavier than the bike. So here are my questions/concerns:
I did not get a brake controller installed but I have looked at trailers that have brakes. Would it be recommended to get a trailer with brakes and install the required controller?
I have looked at one axle with levellers and two axle models. What are the plusses/minuses of both?
Seeing sizes like 7x10; 7x12; 7x14 as well as 6' wide models. I dont have any experience driving with a trailer so would like to keep as small as possible. Any thoughts on sizing?
It seems like the V-Nose style would be best for ease of trailering and better gas mileage. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any feedback

·
Registered
828 Posts
As I understand it, you're just interested in loading your F6B on a trailer and hauling from Point A to Point B.

You don't need a trailer with brakes or more than one axle, and you don't need a large trailer. In fact, unless you are considering using the trailer often, I'd recommend a U-Haul motorcycle trailer. They are very easy to use and easy to pull.

If you are going to use it often and want to buy a trailer, I'd stick with the smallest one you can. A 5' or 6' wide and 8' long should be plenty. You can mount a front tire chock to roll the bike into. Tilt trailers are a little more difficult to load as the weight of the bike drops the front while you're on it. If you're not experienced loading it on a trailer it can be nerve racking. A full width drop ramp is much easier.

Be sure to strap the bike down properly (Lot's of places to see how to do this for your bike, like youtube).

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
An enclosed trailer is nice, but uses a lot of extra fuel and horsepower to pull it.

On the open trailers, that fold-up ramp in the back will also kill your fuel mileage.

A single axle trailer will work just fine.
Stay away from the tilt trailers, as they ride rough - because the axle must be mounted far forward in order to facilitate the "tilt" feature. Also, they can be a bit tricky to load.

I wanted something that I could easily load and unload a bike by myself, so purchased an single axle Aluma MC-10. It has a full width ramp on the back that slides back up into the trailer, underneath. Torsion axles for a smooth ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you're considering limited use I would go rental, saving the cost of maintenance and tax,tags,insurance. Personally I have both enclosed and open trailers...each has it's own benefits/downsides. 1 axle would serve your purpose. V front is helpful but not worth the extra(?) money if most use will be occasional local hauling. If enclosed try and stay within the width of your tow vehicle for improved visibility and fuel mileage. I have towed off-road/road bikes/snowmobiles all over and in all kinds of weather and can say if you value your equipment...put it inside and locked up. Brakes are nice but not a necessity on JMHO. B.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
794 Posts
The trailer box interior needs to be close to 10' long since your bike is over 8'. Minimum 5x10 single axle. You shouldn't need trailer brakes unless you really plan on packing the trailer full and going over a lot of steep mountain passes. Your Passport has a towing capacity of 3500-5000 according to Google so keep in mind that the lighter the trailer the betting it will tow. Your bike is going to be 1000 lbs and a basic trailer that size starts around 1000 lbs so tow weight shouldn't be a problem. If your passport doesn't have the tow package built in then you it probably isn't equipped with any extra transmission coolers or larger brakes so keep the weight down as much as possible for ease of towing in all conditions. Good luck on your purchase.

·
Registered
189 Posts
We have both enclosed an open and as stated above each has their own purpose.
When hauling our "toys" we always use the enclosed and especially when traveling. The old saying out of sight out of mind so to speak. Feel safer when spending the night somewhere too as they don't know what is in the trailer.
Go to a reputable dealer and they should let you load your bike in any of the trailers that you are thinking of getting. I wouldn't have an enclosed trailer that doesn't have a V front. They pull easier and the V is extra storage space as it isn't figured in the length of the trailer. Single axle will work just fine and you should't need brakes on the load you will be hauling. When talking enclosed trailers you get what you pay for. We have HaulMark and Aluma enclosed trailers and there is no comparison between the two as far as quality. The Aluma hands down is a much better built trailer and of course the price reflects that. All of our enclosed trailers are aluminum too with the V fronts and ramp back door. They also are outfitted with E track on the floor and walls. We use our trailers for hauling things besides our toys too so the E track is nice.
Everyone has different wants and needs and also depending on the size of your checking account. Think this through and get advice from others and that way hopefully you will only have to buy once! Know many people who bought a trailer without thinking it through and regretted it and had to trade it in as it didn't fit their needs. Could try renting the first time too just to see if you like it and if it will work for you.
Good luck and enjoy the Black Hills. We used to spend every summer up there and there is lots to see and the people are very friendly. Staying at a motel or resort? You can PM me if you have any questions about the "Hills".

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have a trip planned for June to the Black Hills with the family. Taking the bike but am not looking to ride behind/in front of my wife for the @1600 (one way) miles. So I had a oem hitch installed on the new Passport. Now I am looking at trailers. I have other needs for the trailer so it will see some other uses beyond towing the bike but nothing larger or heavier than the bike. So here are my questions/concerns:
I did not get a brake controller installed but I have looked at trailers that have brakes. Would it be recommended to get a trailer with brakes and install the required controller?
I have looked at one axle with levellers and two axle models. What are the plusses/minuses of both?
Seeing sizes like 7x10; 7x12; 7x14 as well as 6' wide models. I dont have any experience driving with a trailer so would like to keep as small as possible. Any thoughts on sizing?
It seems like the V-Nose style would be best for ease of trailering and better gas mileage. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance for any feedback
I pull an Aluma MC-10 behind my 4 Cyl Subaru Outback. Other than some slowing up larger hills it handles my Wing just fine. Pulled it from AZ to NY 2 years ago... No brake controller needed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts