GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Got a broken one in the garage. I lasted for about a year on a friends bike, and quit. It uses relays to trip the trailer leads, and TWO of those relays gave up. Replaced the whole thing with an new EC unit, so I got spare parts if someone has a BigBike isolator that craps out. That was not a cheap way to save thirty bucks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It uses relays??? Interesting. Could the relays be replaced? I was thinking of building one, etching a printed circuit board to hold the relays, etc.... Seems like a fairly simple thing.....

Of course, things are usually more simple when "thinking" as opposed to actual "doing" {grinning}

Ken

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Do not forget to factor in your time. If you figure you are worth $3 per hour, and parts cost $30, how much you gonna save building your own?.. :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh come on Harry, you KNOW it is not possible to factor in time for "fun" projects... and I enjoy tinkering around with electronices and stuff. BUT I guess I'll try that Big Bike set with the solid state relays - "normally" they work good, but we'll see.

Thanks for the input.

Ken

·
Registered
129 Posts
I made mine up from 4 30 amp relays that I got from the local auto parts store. Cost for the relays $5.00 each. A few bucks more for wire and connectors. I think I spent around $22.00 for the whole thing. Very heavy duty and the parts can be replaced if need. I doubt with 30 amp relays that I will ever have problems with them. Put the set of relays in a piece of bike intertube and mounted it under the seat. Seems to work fine, and was an easy job to build.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts