GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about a trailer. Does anyone in PA know if the commonwealth requires a license plate and state inpection on a motorcycle trailer?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I'm thinking about a trailer. Does anyone in PA know if the commonwealth requires a license plate and state inpection on a motorcycle trailer?
Last I knew, plate yes and self inspection..

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
All trailers get inspected. I pulled a boat for years and had no idea until my brother in law got a $160 ticket. I took it down to the gas station and the guy walked around it and gave me a sticker for I think $25. This is Pa. did you really think you were going to do something with out paying them?:shock:

·
Registered
692 Posts
Plate yes, inspection no, if you are talking about one behind the wing the answer is no. I have built 4 of them and the requirements for inspection if you built them is for getting a title but its only one time. They are below the weight requirement for normal inspection.

Dennis

·
Registered
270 Posts
Don't know about PA

But I can tell you I took mine to the local RV dealer in Maryland and he walked around mine for the tune of $45.00 and he didn't walk slow. I told him I was gald he didn't deciede to jump over it I may have gone broke.

Non lurker

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
All trailers get inspected. I pulled a boat for years and had no idea until my brother in law got a $160 ticket. I took it down to the gas station and the guy walked around it and gave me a sticker for I think $25. This is Pa. did you really think you were going to do something with out paying them?:shock:
Hmmm, I'll have to check into this.. I've got a 2,995lb enclosed trailer that has never been inspected..
Rules USED to be self inspection, meaning actual logs of periodic checks and such.. You can be fined for issues if pulled over though..

Ok, just found the procedure.. It's ONLY for trailers OVER 3,000lbs GVWR..
http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/s175.130.html
http://www.dot4.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_45/section_gh.pdf

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course our commonwealth will pile a little more load on the public mule... I should have known. Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
506 Posts
No state inspection for trailers under 3,000 lb gwt. You can even buy a 5-year tag in PA. No discount though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts