GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get lights working on my Leesure Lite camper. Everything works at the bike side but the test light shows a solid light the trailer side of the plug ,no blinking for turns, brakes are a solid light whether pressing them or not. Brake and running lights were working until now. Hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Some of the Leesurelite trailers use five wire and some use four wire plugs. Is yours a four wire and therefore you somewhere have a five to four converter? If yes, that would be a good place to insert your test light. If everything was working before and after sitting for a while has decided to give up the ghost, the converter would be my first suspect.

If five wire, you must have a short somewhere in the harness. Sorry but you probably will need to hand over hand inspect that harness from the plug all the way back to where it ties in to the bike harness. Look for chaffing and check the connectors that hook to the bike's harness. If it's those "squeeze and lock" type you might just go ahead and do away with those as they are infamous for corrosion, water retention and damaging the OEM harness. Good news is a five wire connector harness is cheap and probably available at a local parts store so you could replace it just as fast as fighting and searching for the issue.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Pooch,
are you saying that with the plugin disconnected from the trailer, that all terminals work correctly, but when connected to the trailer they do as you described? If it all worked before but doesn't now, try running a ground wire from the bike to the trailer.

I have chased trailer wiring issues with a battery and jumper leads to find the errant wire in the trailer.

Bulbs will short across their contact points too.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pooch,
are you saying that with the plugin disconnected from the trailer, that all terminals work correctly, but when connected to the trailer they do as you described? If it all worked before but doesn't now, try running a ground wire from the bike to the trailer.

I have chased trailer wiring issues with a battery and jumper leads to find the errant wire in the trailer.

Bulbs will short across their contact points too.
Yes,that's what is was doing. Thanks Glblinded and Buster!! It was a ground wire in the bike side harness. Everything is working now, except a couple side marker lights but I'll deal with that later.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Yiiiiiiiippppp,
A bad ground is the root cause of about 80% of automotive electrical issues. I experienced the same identical issues as you did when I hooked up my trailer a year or so ago. The five wire harness/plug has a ground wire in it. But, here's what I did. I parked the trailer close enough to hook up the plug but, not put the trailer on the ball of the bike. The lights were doing all kinds of odd things.

Talk about getting "p.o'ff" right off the bat!! Those lights were functioning flawlessly the last time I used the trailer. And nothing, NOTHING is different. How could something like this happen, TO ME!!!???? So, just for grins, I picked up the trailer tongue and placed it on the ball of the trailer hitch on the bike. Yahoooooooooo!!!!!!! All of sudden, every light worked EXACTLY as it was supposed to. I have traced the ground on the bike to a known good ground. But, apparently, it's not enough of a ground. The trailer hitch IS the needed ground.

I don't even bother now trying to clear this up. I just hook up the trailer now, put the tongue on the hitch and then check the lights, every time this way. They all work flawlessly when the bike is actually connected to the hitch.
Scott

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: I have the lights working but they will not work without a separate ground wire from the bike to the trailer. Could it be the isolator in the Bushtec trailer harness gone bad?? Bike has 118,000 miles and hitch/harness installed when I bought the bike new.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
UPDATE: I have the lights working but they will not work without a separate ground wire from the bike to the trailer. Could it be the isolator in the Bushtec trailer harness gone bad?? Bike has 118,000 miles and hitch/harness installed when I bought the bike new.
Pooch, I've never heard of an isolator going bad but have you tested the continuity from where the ground wire hooks to the neg. terminal on the battery to where it comes out at your connector on the bike. I would say you have no continuity and maybe a broken wire or a bad connection in the plug. JAWAG

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Yiiiiiiiippppp,
A bad ground is the root cause of about 80% of automotive electrical issues. I experienced the same identical issues as you did when I hooked up my trailer a year or so ago. The five wire harness/plug has a ground wire in it. But, here's what I did. I parked the trailer close enough to hook up the plug but, not put the trailer on the ball of the bike. The lights were doing all kinds of odd things.

Talk about getting "p.o'ff" right off the bat!! Those lights were functioning flawlessly the last time I used the trailer. And nothing, NOTHING is different. How could something like this happen, TO ME!!!???? So, just for grins, I picked up the trailer tongue and placed it on the ball of the trailer hitch on the bike. Yahoooooooooo!!!!!!! All of sudden, every light worked EXACTLY as it was supposed to. I have traced the ground on the bike to a known good ground. But, apparently, it's not enough of a ground. The trailer hitch IS the needed ground.

I don't even bother now trying to clear this up. I just hook up the trailer now, put the tongue on the hitch and then check the lights, every time this way. They all work flawlessly when the bike is actually connected to the hitch.
Scott
Scott,
The exact same thing happened to me last year...... I was going to the big event at the Americade motorcycle rally..... I had waited till the last moment to check/hook up trailer to check out lights, I knew lights were working the end of the season last year before putting the trailer away (in a heated celler) and bike away in my garage... Friends were ten minutes away, from meeting me (we were all excited to get going) and "Boom" no lights on trailer... {I know that Pissed off feeling} My buddy said "just hook it up to your bike" and I can ride in the middle of the pack, so police won't notice, the lights not working...I agreed, not wanting to let my riding friend down and be late to leave.....THEN SUDDENLY I HAD LIGHTS....Aaaaaaaaa what a good feeling!!!

Ronnie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts