GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a trailer with the lights that require a 5 to four modulator. I really want to find lights that will give me turn signals separate from the brake light. Does anyone make a light with this function capability that fits in the same size space as the standard trailer light or smaller? I thought of taking a jeep tail light and replacing the reverse light with a yellow bulb, but it is bigger than what I have now and I have already smashed the ones I have already. Steep driveways tend to make the tail light pop the ground before the trailer gets to the level of the road. I also looked at putting separate lights on the fenders to wire as turn signals and running lights, but I can't find any that look good there. I have drug this thing 50k+ miles and I still am on the search for lights to work on it that don't take away from the cool look of my little car.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Someone here got some Jeep tail lights and put amber bulbs for the signals in the reverse lights.....looked awesome. He used APC aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What size are they and how/where are the bolts and wire connectors for the lights?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
That photo came off ebay. The bolts and wires should be on the back of the housing. Don't know much else about them tho.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i have the same tralier, added 52 LED light in the fenders of the tralier. they do running ,turn and brake and are bright. Just ordered 2 more to replace the lights under the car and again there bright. If I ever learn I will posr a pic. If you want i can send you the web site where I purchased them from. with bracket and shipping arround $60.00 There bright and have 3 funciations.

·
Registered
750 Posts
staticjolt
I picked up my 40 Coupe today and found I have the same problem. The buddy following me said when I apply the brakes I lose the turn signal. I'm not much for understanding electrical stuff. My bike is an 02, EC isolator harness with their 5 to 4 connector.
Can you give me any tips about the trailer since you've had yours for such a long period period of time? I'm in the process of making a carrier for the Bushtec 16qt cooler for the tongue, thinking that will help protect the front end a bit from rock chips.
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can tell you the cooler will help to shield the trailer, but you might want to put some diamond plate up on the tongue to help deflect the rocks that will sneak past that cooler when the bike is on a lean.

The lights seem to be the weak point on the trailer. I did replace the bulbs in all four lights with the 24 LED wide angle super brights. That makes them stand out a lot more. My state needs a trailer tag so what I did was get a 1 inch angle aluminum and put it from light to light using the bolts that hold the lights. I used the lighted tag cover from Kury so the tag would have a light. There was still space on the cross bar so I added super bight LED marker lights in that space. Before I bolted it all together I covered the cross bar with red reflective tape so the bar would look better and it would also help me be seen. I am working on a replacement that will give me better lights and separate turn lights. I haven’t figured that all out as of yet. I am looking currently at putting running/brake lights under the car and running/turn signals out on the trailer fenders.

I did put Bearing Buddies on the trailer axles to keep the axles in grease. I have had this trailer for two years/50K miles and had never torn the axles apart to grease them until after folks on this board were telling me that Bearing Buddies were bad. So after I ran my hour ride home I touched the axle and it was cool as could be. I figured that meant no friction problem, but worried about some of the comments from here I tore it apart anyway. What I found were completely packed bears on both inside and outside and every space in between was completely full of good grease. The bearings were perfect. The Bearing Buddies have performed their job well these 50 thousand miles.

The only other pointer would be to not let the wife see how much space is in the trailer :D. I carry a spare tire in the nose area with a folding lug wrench. I also have two folding chairs on each side up front. My cold weather gear stays in the nose of the trailer year round. I always pull my 40 Ford. I have gotten really good at backing up :D

I know I don’t have to tell you to have fun with your trailer because if you were like me you met at least a dozen new folks on the way home at gas stations and restaurants on the way. In my two years I could not count how many folks I have talked to as I traveled. You can’t have this trailer and not like talking to folks. :shock: :wink:

·
Registered
35 Posts
StaticJolt
Sent you e-mail reguarding new LED lights I added on mine. This is my first pic posted on the board hope it works.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts