GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know if you have to have plates to pull your trailer home from the dealer that you buy it from in the state of va.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don't know what state you are in. In Arizona you can buy a 3 day permit or a 14 day permit that would take care of the time you need to travel. In Az an MSO is not enough you need a permit. Of course this is only if you are stopped.

Az has a web site that tells all you need to know, you state may too. Here a 3 day permit is $5. Better safe that sorry-----don't forget to add the trailer to you insurance, I added mine and it is counted as an acc. to the bike.

Good Luck on you trailer, you will love it

Roger

·
Registered
416 Posts
I figure if a dealer can't move it 25 miles without a tag the person buying a new trailer has the same issue.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1992.51

§ 46.2-1992.51. Movement by dealers to salesrooms.

Any dealer in trailers may operate or move, or cause to be operated or moved, any trailer on the highways for a distance of no more than twenty-five miles from a vessel, railway depot, warehouse, or any place of shipment or from a factory where manufactured or assembled to a salesroom, warehouse, or place of shipment or transshipment without registering them and without license plates attached thereto, under a written permit first obtained from the local law-enforcement authorities having jurisdiction over the highways, and on displaying in plain sight on each trailer, a placard bearing the name and address of the dealer authorizing or directing the movement.

(1996, cc. 1043, 1052.)
this is also interesting: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+46.2-1992.48

§ 46.2-1992.48. Use of dealer's license plates on newly purchased trailers.

Notwithstanding the provisions of § 46.2-1992.44, any dealer who sells and delivers to a purchaser a trailer at a time when the main offices of the Department, its branch offices, or offices of its local agents, are not open for business and the purchaser is therefore unable to register the trailer, may permit the purchaser to use, for a period not exceeding five days, on the newly purchased trailer, license plates which have been issued to the dealer, provided that, at the time of the purchase, the dealer executes in duplicate, on forms provided by the Commissioner, a certificate bearing the date of issuance, the name and address of the purchaser, the identification number of the vehicle, the registration number to be used temporarily on the trailer, the name of the state in which the trailer is to be registered, and whatever other information may be required by the Commissioner. The original of the certificate and a bona fide bill of sale shall be delivered to the purchaser and shall be in the possession of the purchaser at all times when operating the trailer under dealer plates. One copy of the certificate shall be retained by the dealer, filed by him, and shall be subject to inspection at any time by the Department's agents. If the trailer is to be titled and registered in the Commonwealth, application for title and registration shall be made by the purchaser on the first business day following issuance of the certificate and a copy of the certificate shall accompany the applications.

License plates temporarily used by the purchaser shall be returned to the dealer by the purchaser not later than five days after the issuance of the certificate.

(1996, cc. 1043, 1052.)

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
I bought a trailer from Escapade in Va... I checked with the DMV before I left... here in Louisiana ... they told me you have 45 days to register ..
all you have to have to travel... is a BILL OF SALE from whom ever you buy the trailer... to register it here.. i had to have a bill of sale with the VIN NUMBER on the bill of sale.. and proof of insurance & drivers license...but It might be a good idea to call your local DMV office to check local regulations..

cosmic

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Check with the state that you live in. I have found that some states do not require you to have a plate if the GW is under 3K lbs . they have to be registered but no plates. I think I had a site that you can for your state ..I'll try to find and post it

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
Why don't you put it in the back of a pickup?
**** :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I pulled a Kompact Kamp trailer home to eastern Virginia last summer from Myerstown, Pennsylvania without any tags. Owner of plant in Myerstown said people do it all the time. If you have a legal document that says it's yours, I don't think that you will have a problem even if they stopped you. When I came down US 17 from Winchester (in your area) it seemed like there was a LEO every mile and they didn't bother me, but they were harassing a lot of other people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts