GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was pondering different types of cargo trailers, even though I am pretty much centered on the Aluma MCT or MCTXL.

Specifically, I was wondering if a person could modify one of the HF style cargo trailers (or similar platform) by removing the wood slats, and replacing them with TREX materials. I wonder what the difference in weight might be, if this was accomplished. Would the modification be worth the effort? :shrug:

Having a platform of something like TREX would definitely remove the need to keep the wood clean to prevent rot, espeically on the underside.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Just a random thought bouncing around without much to stop the rebounds...:oops:

- David

·
Registered
388 Posts
Trex is very heavy compared to wood. It also has NO structural strength. It should only be used as decking BUT it requires more support than wood. ex. instead of 16" OC joists for wood decking, Trex must have joists 12" OC.

I built a HF trailer and used sheet aluminum for the deck. Very light, corrosion proof and easy to drill through for wiring etc. Not sure of the thickness but very thin stuff you can get at a scrap metal yard.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Today I was pondering different types of cargo trailers, even though I am pretty much centered on the Aluma MCT or MCTXL.

Specifically, I was wondering if a person could modify one of the HF style cargo trailers (or similar platform) by removing the wood slats, and replacing them with TREX materials. I wonder what the difference in weight might be, if this was accomplished. Would the modification be worth the effort? :shrug:

Having a platform of something like TREX would definitely remove the need to keep the wood clean to prevent rot, espeically on the underside.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Just a random thought bouncing around without much to stop the rebounds...:oops:

- David
How many instances of trailer rot have been reported?

Are you fixing a problem that does not exist?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aluminum, now there's an idea worth considering. :bow:

NJREF, no idea on the #'s of rot, if any, as I was just wondering if it happens and if so, would TREX materials be considered as replacement material. :shrug:

I happened to be standing on a TREX deck when the thought entered that open spot between my ears. Just curious and thankful for the replies generated.

No cargo trailer yet, but when we do, it'll be the Aluma MCT / MCTXL. :cool:

Later,

- David

·
Registered
124 Posts
David,
I'm gonna go with an aluma too. Only about 170 lbs and (Relatively) inexpensive here at about $1400.

Noticed you are in Payson...grew up in the valley. Miss those mountains and the White Mtn area. Beeline cafe still open? Best chili (Outside of homemade) I ever had. Used to ride up there for chili and stay at the little Star Valley motel to get out of the heat. (Had a chance to buy it, and wish I woulda...)
Ride safe!
Mike - mctoy

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Trex is very heavy compared to wood. It also has NO structural strength. It should only be used as decking BUT it requires more support than wood. ex. instead of 16" OC joists for wood decking, Trex must have joists 12" OC.

I built a HF trailer and used sheet aluminum for the deck. Very light, corrosion proof and easy to drill through for wiring etc. Not sure of the thickness but very thin stuff you can get at a scrap metal yard.
Agree. +1.
I just built a Trex deck and stairway to our second floor. Building Code required 5 stairway stringers with Trex instead of the normal 3 stringers with wooden tread and risers. And as Puckbus said, joists on 12" centers.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
David,
I'm gonna go with an aluma too. Only about 170 lbs and (Relatively) inexpensive here at about $1400.

Noticed you are in Payson...grew up in the valley. Miss those mountains and the White Mtn area. Beeline cafe still open? Best chili (Outside of homemade) I ever had. Used to ride up there for chili and stay at the little Star Valley motel to get out of the heat. (Had a chance to buy it, and wish I woulda...)
Ride safe!
Mike - mctoy
Yup, Beeline Cafe is still open and ALWAYS busy! Nothing's changed whatsoever except for a face or two, so the chili will be just as you last had it.

Chance for snow this Thursday above 6500' from Flag eastward through the White Mountains. I needed a roadtrip, so off I go to Holbrook for lunch. Then east through the Petrified Forest/Painted Desert rolling through the upper desert until I pass through St. Johns. Coming back along Hwy 260 from Eagar to Payson, the ferns have already started turning brown and the aspen are changing from summer green to fall green with highlights of yellow thrown in for contrast.

Had the opportunity to miss a rather large bull elk crossing the road and javelina standing on the centerline. Man that rack was hurge!!

I'm thinking another roadtrip to Eagar with the float tube and chase some of those triploid trout in Becker Lake. Average trout right now is 3.5 pounds... Next year, 5 pounders will be the norm :22yikes:

- David

1 - 7 of 7 Posts