GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 wing and I just bought a trailer. The trailer was set up and wired for 5 wires. So I wired the wing the same way. My question is is there a adapter to pull a 4 wire trailer?

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
You would have to create your own as a 4 wire trailer will need a 5-4 converter. A 5 wire setup has all functions independent. A 4 wire combines turn signals and brake lights. Just splice the 5 wires that are already setup for your 5 wire trailer feed to the 5 wires going into the converter. The converter should already have a 4 wire output. You end up with 2 trailer hookups on the back of the bike.

I had a similar situation. I tow my Aspen camper way more than my cargo trailer. It uses a 6 pin round. My cargo uses a 4 flat connector. I have the bike set up with a 6 pin round connector. I found a 6 pin round adapter that gave me access to the 5 functions. I took a 5-4 converter, trimmed down the wires, and then wired up the 5-4 converter. It's not pretty but works perfectly.

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
You would have to create your own as a 4 wire trailer will need a 5-4 converter. A 5 wire setup has all functions independent. A 4 wire combines turn signals and brake lights. Just splice the 5 wires that are already setup for your 5 wire trailer feed to the 5 wires going into the converter. The converter should already have a 4 wire output. You end up with 2 trailer hookups on the back of the bike.
Just what I did. Works fine.

Reactions: GLblinded

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I start here, www.etrailer.com and then search Amazon for the best pricing on the item I select from e-trailer

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have a 2006 wing and I just bought a trailer. The trailer was set up and wired for 5 wires. So I wired the wing the same way. My question is is there a adapter to pull a 4 wire trailer?

Yes, and quite a few places sell them. Here is one from one of our forum sponsors. It's a 5 into 4 adapter. I have one myself. Very easy to install. You can even wrap your 5 wire system with your 4 wire system, so you have both plugs available at all times.

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/_5_to_4_pin_trailer_harness_converter_/51253

An important note is, if you have LED lights on your trailer, you do need to be sure that your converter is LED compatible. Sometimes the draw from the LED lights is not enough and the adapters will not work porperly.

Hope this helps...
Doc

·
Registered
1,105 Posts

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/_5_to_4_pin_trailer_harness_converter_/51253

An important note is, if you have LED lights on your trailer, you do need to be sure that your converter is LED compatible. Sometimes the draw from the LED lights is not enough and the adapters will not work porperly.

Hope this helps...
Doc

I will confirm that the above listed 5-4 converter will not work with LED lights. I had originally bought that many years ago and wired it into a plug and play Isolator on my 1500. My cargo trailer had LED lights and it wouldnt work. I ended up picking up a Hopkins #48895 converter that was LED compatible. I had to shorten the wiring because it was way too long but it worked perfectly with my cargo trailer LED lights.

Reactions: CAWing

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am not looking for a permanent mount harness. I am looking for an adapter that I can plug my 5 wire trailer plug and hook up to a 4 wire trailer...many my op wasn't clear. If not I apologize...

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
You need something like this https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=48915 and a 5 pin trailer side connector.
Cut the adpters wires as short as you need and then splice the adapter to the 5 pin connector and plug it in to the bike and the 4 pin trailer.

What I cannot find on the website is if the adapter will work with LEDs.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I am not looking for a permanent mount harness. I am looking for an adapter that I can plug my 5 wire trailer plug and hook up to a 4 wire trailer...many my op wasn't clear. If not I apologize...

Simple enough. Make sure you purchase the right 5 into 4 converter (Probably just get the LED compatible one right away) and then instead of tapping the 5 wire side into your harness, attach a 5 flat plug end onto it. Most converters come with the 4 flat on the other end.

BAM! You have a portable 5 into 4 converter that you can take anywhere....

Hope that helps....
Doc

1 - 13 of 13 Posts