GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my Bushtek V2 today, and getting ready to do the wiring. Trying to decide where to connect the power lead. Kinda need to know what the peak draw will be to make this decision. I have a Quantum GL with standard lighting, eg. tail and wing, side clearance, plus interior. Appreciate any help.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
The battery is a pretty good place to get power. If you've got an isolator, it should tell you to hook it there and it should also have an in-line fuse. If you don't have an isolator, you might want to get one to protect the bike from trailer wiring problems. I'm not familiar with Bushtec's isolator, but EC's has a 30 amp fuse for power, 5 amp fuses for turn signals and 7.5 amp fuses for tail and brake lights.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was really hoping not to have to add another lead off the battery, but it sounds like running it off the power block would use all the load the block is rated for. (would kinda make the remaining terminals useless)

Steve

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
SteveZ said:
I was really hoping not to have to add another lead off the battery, but it sounds like running it off the power block would use all the load the block is rated for. (would kinda make the remaining terminals useless)

Steve
I'm the same way... not wanting to add too many terminals directly to the battery. Lots of folks get fused terminal blocks, some with relays. I got a basic terminal block without fuses or relays from Radio Shack. I hooked one extra terminal to each battery post and ran them to this block, half the block being positive and half negative. All my accessories are hot all the time, which is the way I want them. I've got my heated clothes, heated grips, trailer isolator and power plug, each individually fused, hooked up there. The block is mounted on the inner rear fender just under the seat. If I have a problem with those accessories, I do have to take the seat off to inspect the fuses, although I haven't had a problem to date... cross my fingers. lol

Good luck with your install, Steve.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Wanderer said:
The battery is a pretty good place to get power. If you've got an isolator, it should tell you to hook it there and it should also have an in-line fuse. If you don't have an isolator, you might want to get one to protect the bike from trailer wiring problems. I'm not familiar with Bushtec's isolator, but EC's has a 30 amp fuse for power, 5 amp fuses for turn signals and 7.5 amp fuses for tail and brake lights.
They are the same!!!!!!!!!...bushtec== father...EC==son.....chuck

·
Registered
700 Posts
chuck_b24 said:
They are the same!!!!!!!!!...bushtec== father...EC==son.....chuck
No Chuck, We are not the same company. Bushtec designs, engineers and manufactures Performance Sport Trailers for the motorcycle industry and has been for twenty-five years. The Electrical Connection designs, engineers and manufacturs electrical components for the motorcycle industry for almost ten years.

While we are father & son, the two business are autonomous. What we share is a passion for motorcycles, and we have dedicated our lives to the motorcyclist & the industry.

Like many vendors, we share ideas, technology and when possible we buy from each other as an economy of industry. Lewis has assisted Bushtec in electrical needs and Bushtec has assisted The Electrical Connection in the mechanical and fabrication areas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts