GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Bushtec Quantum trailer for a cross country ride. Having never pulled a trailer I am curious about other's experiences. Specifically, does a GL1800 have plenty of power to carry rider, passenger and lightly loaded trailer over high mountains without a struggle? I am open to any safety recommendations! Thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
The 1800 has plenty of power I have been accross twice with passenger loaded up. If the trailer is loaded properly you will not have a problem. Make a few short trips first and get comfortable with it and learn how it rides behind your bike. Make sure all your tire pressures are good and enjoy. You will have to learn how your trailer likes to bo loaded for best towing results , mine likes the heaviest over the wheels favoring the front. :sw1: :flg:

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Last summer my wife and I pulled a loaded Bushtec down to Knoxville to attend the Hoot, and kept it attached when cruising Deals Gap.....granted, it is not 'high altitude' mountain riding, but the wing has more than enough power to handle the trailer. Just twist the throttle and hang on !! :D

·
Registered
837 Posts
The first year I had my 1800 Me, Susan and another couple left here for the rally in Ruidoso NM. We had our trailer loaded down good and so did Bob. Bob was riding an 87 GL1200. We decided to ride over the Black Range on NM 152. The Black Range is a great mountain range to ride over with steep climbs and hunreds of twisties. Up one side, and down the other.

Well, to make a great ride story short, I was leading and when we hit the mountain, I flat ran off and left Bob and Cyndi behind. Where I was running in 3rd and 4th gears, Bob was in 2nd and 3rd. That 1800 handled the twisties so well that I literally forgot that I had a loaded trailer behind me. My buddy told me that when he lost sight of me, I was within 1/4 inch of dragging my pegs. I had no Idea I was leaning that much. I was just having a blast riding that big machine through the twisties.

The 1800 has more than enough power to handle a loaded trailer in the mountains. One tip....After your loaded, hooked up and ready to go, do a test ride around the block. I did and instantly noticed that when turning corners, it felt like the trailer was trying to push me. I raised the rear suspension from where ever I had it to 21 and it was just fantastic after that.

Enjoy your new trailer and ride safe.

G

·
0 Posts
trailering for the first time...

I'm glad this question was posed...my wife and I will be taking two weeks to head through the Applachians with the Cabot Trail in northern Nova Scotia as our final destination. We will be riding our new 2004 with a new Voyageur trailer behind.
I've never pulled a trailer before and these answers already posted give me some useful insight.

One question though...pulling a trailer...does it cause you to chew through a rear tire faster than if you were not pulling?

thanks,

Ron in Toronto

·
Registered
65 Posts
I pulled a trailer with the 1500 and never seemed to eat the tires . I bought the 1800 in sept used I dont know how many miles on the tires but have put over 9000 on them my self and pulling a camper trailer nearly half of those miles and that was with dunolps.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I had never pulled a trailer either until I got mine. I pulled it about a week, to work, to check out the effects before take a trip with it. You have to think "trailer" all the time because you will forget it's back there. Make the necessary allowances just like you would for a cage pulling a trailer.
Ride safe,

Bob

·
Registered
824 Posts
I probably have around 20,000 miles with a Bushtec behind me with about 4,000 of those behind the 1800. As one person said, pump up the rear end air ride to at least 20psi or better.
Where I had to downshift with the GL1500, I stay in 5th with the 1800. Very seldom do I have to downshift to 4th gear and that being when we are in the twisties and either find room to pass a slower vehicle or are already going slow and find a nasty incline in front of us.
The only real trick with the Bushtec is to keep the heaviest items over the axle and if you have to off center the balance err just a little to the front and insure that you have the tires set verticle per Bushtec's video you received with the trailer.
Have a great trip, and remember to ride like you always do!

S

·
0 Posts
I've pull a trailer behind several bikes 900cc and up and never really noticed the trailer was even there until it was time to stop. Not that it's a big deal but you will notice some push and just need to be aware. Also keep in mind cage drivers may not see your trailer - I had a car clip the trailer while I was filling the tank at a gas station. I parked at the first pump with the trailer sticking out past the island and a car came around the corner and just caught the bumper - no real damage just a scare.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trailer Question

I really appreciate all the good advise and information. It's a real confidence builder! Thanks

·
Registered
837 Posts
One other thing. We've all said that you'll forget about the trailer being back there, and you will. Adjust your mirrors down enough so that when you look behind you, you can see your trailer. This will help you stay aware of it's presence. Though I don't pull my trailer much, I leave my mirrors set for the trailer all the time. It's also a must when backing up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts