GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you know what I can use on the floor of my trailer to guide the bike into the chock without having to go through the process of lining the bike up just right everytime before I load it? When I am loading the bike into the trailer, I loose sight of the chock when I start moving forward and can only hope I end up in the chock. It would be nice to get the bike as close to center as possible, start rolling forward and know that when I stop, the bike will be in the chock.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
A) Try fastening some 2X2 guides in the form of a "V" to guide your front wheel where you want it.
B) If you have a ceiling in the trailer, hang a tennis ball from the top to guide your headlight to where you need to be.
C) Paint a spot on the wall, fix your eyes on it, and your front wheel will be where you want it.

If none of these work with your trailer, share what kind of trailer you have, and maybe we can come up with something that will work.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
A) Try fastening some 2X2 guides in the form of a "V" to guide your front wheel where you want it.
B) If you have a ceiling in the trailer, hang a tennis ball from the top to guide your headlight to where you need to be.
C) Paint a spot on the wall, fix your eyes on it, and your front wheel will be where you want it.

If none of these work with your trailer, share what kind of trailer you have, and maybe we can come up with something that will work.
Ain't this site AWESOME? :bow:

ANYTHING, you wanna know, just ASK right here. SOMEONE will have the correct answer. :thumbup:

I have answers too.... though not always the CORRECT one. :joke:

thecruiser

·
Registered
154 Posts
I went for simplicity in my Excalibur trailer. Put a single stripe of duct tape on the floor from the chock to the ramp, and lined up on it. On my GL1500 I could also see it if I looked down along the forks. Haven't loaded my GL1800 yet, but I assume it is the same. When I have the money, I may mask off a stripe and paint it on, but Lowes keeps raising the prices on the spray cans.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Why are you trailering your bike in the first place ? Is it related to a Harley ??? Yeah I know. I'm just being a smart azz. Well, greyelky already mentioned all my suggestions !!!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I would not put any thing on the floor to physically guide the front wheel. That could lead to a loss of control and a fall. Been there.

Stay with a visual guide. I had an open trail that I used a bicycle flag to align to and a painted line on the front of the enclosed.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I line the bike up a best I can before going up the ramp. Then I stop somewhere near the chock, lean to the left and look at the front tire and chock, and then make a minor correction if needed. If necessary, I'll let the bike roll back a bit and then go forward into the chock. This technique has worked on 1200, 1500, and 1800 Gold Wings, and the ST-1300. If the rear of the bike is a couple degrees from being aligned with the front, I don't worry about it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
How about mounting a mirror on the front wall so you can see what you're doing? I also like the tape on the floor idea.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I line the bike up a best I can before going up the ramp. Then I stop somewhere near the chock, lean to the left and look at the front tire and chock, and then make a minor correction if needed. If necessary, I'll let the bike roll back a bit and then go forward into the chock. This technique has worked on 1200, 1500, and 1800 Gold Wings, and the ST-1300. If the rear of the bike is a couple degrees from being aligned with the front, I don't worry about it.
This is about the same technique I follow. When I got the trailer it had 1X2" strips on each side of the track for the front wheel, had been set up for a Trike. I did not like this since it was difficult to stay within the track laid out for the wheel, so I removed these strips. I just aim it for the chock and do the fine tuning as the wheel nears entry by peeping around the front just enough to get a visual then drive it on in. Not too concerned about having a perfect rear alignment, just strap her down and hit the road.

·
Registered
239 Posts
How about mounting a mirror on the front wall so you can see what you're doing? I also like the tape on the floor idea.
Is your chock one that cams over to lock the front wheel in place ?
I just straddle the bike will standing and slowly power into the chock while looking over the front cowl. I may have an advantage being 75" tall.

I like the mirror idea.

RJ

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Similar to the other suggestions, get one of those cheap antenna type whips that they use on ATV's and dirt bikes in the dunes, or one of those driveway indicators with the reflectors on, that stick in the ground (lowes or Home Depot), then zip tie it to the front of your chock.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I would mount 2 optical interrupters on the floor (like your garage door uses) placed just a wee bit wider than the tires' width, and wire it to a transmitter that sends the signal to a seat mounted receiver wired to a 12 volt coil.

Then let my crummy neighbor load the bike. :popcorn:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts