GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2-rail bike trailer that I share with another family member. My BMW weighed about 600# and I did trailer it alone at times but was always skeptical of the one sided weight and took appropriate precautions in curves or turns. Now that I've got the Wing, I'm very concerned about the one sided load and I'd like to install a 3rd (center) rail in the event I trailer it alone. My current rails are 7 1/2" wide and 97" long before tilting up 12" at the end to chock the front tire. I've called a number of trailer places and everyone that does cycle trailers imports the rails pre-made from overseas and none of them have or use anywhere near a 97" horizontal length. The trailer is about 5 years old, but there is no manufacturers label on it. Any ideas where I could locate another similar sized rail?

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
If you have any metal fabricating shops in your area you might check them out for some help. Just an idea.. I would think there would be someone in a place like that that could be of some help to your needs.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Dan,

I have a Kendon two rail trailer. I've towed the Wing alone, as well as my Vmax and a friend's BMW on numerous times without any concerns. Yeah, I was scared and cautious at first when towing the Wing, but then the more I towed it, the easier it felt on my heart.

The Kendon trailer is equipped with torsion bar suspension. When I brought it to a local trailer place to have a third rail installed, thinking like you that it would be easier, the trailer place reassured me that with that type of suspension I shouldn't have anything to worry about, even when towing the heavy Wing by itself.

However, he told me that if the trailer had a leaf spring suspension, then that would be a different story all together.

I hope that this will help you.

Happy trailering,

Mike T.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts