GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:
I purchased an older trailer (see pictures) from the widow of a very good friend of mine who was killed on his Gold Wing a couple months ago. She knows nothing about the trailer except that is has sat under the Oak trees for several years. Can anyone identify the manufacturer/brand name? I paid her $150 for it unseen hoping for the best. When I got it home there are a few issues I will have to repair before it is road ready.

The four corners where the bottom shell attaches to the frame have been destroyed (see picture). This is my primary concern to repair. Is there any other way to repair this other than fiberglass? Lots of water could enter the shell from underneath. My buddy tried to fiberglass the shell but it didn't work. I spoke to a couple dealers at Bike Week Daytona last week and both recommended sanding the shell really clean and use a fiberglass kit to repair it. Is there any sort of cleaning fluid I should use prior to applying the fiberglass? There is a crack in the top shell at the front as well. I think the same treatment with the fiberglass will work here as well.

Is there a stronger/better way to reinforce the piano hinge in front where the top and bottom shells come together?

The weather stripping needs replacement. It is hard and probably leaks. Where can I purchase the stripping? Will auto weather stripping work? Do I use silicone sealant as well? I know it will have to fit over the shell but I want to be sure a weather proof seal is made between the top and bottom shells.

Other than these issues, I will have to rewire the lights and purchase two new tires. I think it will be ready for the road then.
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions, recommendations, links to supplies.
James

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I would buy a car top carrier and scrap the original one out, or at least price it's repair. & compare to a new or used car top carrier . You can find many for sale on ebay, or Craigslist that would fit that frame . Just get proper dimensions & see what you can find. much easier and cheaper imho.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will get an estimate on repair this Monday and go from there. I am hoping the fix won't be that expensive. If not I won't have more money in it than I can get for a sale later.
anyway, we shall see.......
Thanks for the reply.
James

1 - 3 of 3 Posts