GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our plans to ship my Wing to the US for a cross country trip last year were scuppered by insurance problems which appear to have now been resolved so we are looking to do the trip this year.

I can lock the trailer to the bike overnight etc. but I was wondering if there any issues around leaving my trailer parked at hotels/motels etc while going out on the Wing sightseeing or on an evening ride out for a meal etc?

What do you guys do about leaving your trailer in these circumstances?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
I would Ins the trailer should be pretty reasonable also I would think most of the older inner cities is where you have possibly a problem but those are probably not on your list of travel I think change around the wheels is about all you can do if you can change it to something a little better
Have fun were ate you going to check out ?

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
I've been using my trailer for the past 19 years, on three different bikes from my 2000 Kawi, then 2002 wing, and now 2010 wing, and can say that I never have had any problems with anyone messing with my trailer,
Now naturally it's not connected 100% of the time to my bikes, only during vacation rides, or when I need xtra space.....

If not connected to my bike while on vacation, I just chain it to a post, as close to public viewing as possible..and put a lock onto the hitch as well....

Ronnie

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,528 Posts
With Progressive insurance, the trailer is only insured when its connected to the bike.....chained to a post there's no insurance on the trailer. I only take my trailer on road trips when I am camping...if I'm staying at motels on a trip, I pack the bike and leave the trailer at home.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
With Progressive insurance, the trailer is only insured when its connected to the bike.....chained to a post there's no insurance on the trailer. I only take my trailer on road trips when I am camping...if I'm staying at motels on a trip, I pack the bike and leave the trailer at home.
This may be true if you don't have a separate Ins policy on the trailer. I would check around .

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,528 Posts
This may be true if you don't have a separate Ins policy on the trailer. I would check around .
I have checked around for a insurance policy for just my trailer and none of the insurance company's that insure motorcycles will insure the trailer on its own...they consider the trailer a accessory of the motorcycle and only cover the trailer if its attached to the bike and you have accessory coverage. I know some here have said they have insured the trailer on its own but I couldn't find any insurance that would...if someone has a insurance company that does please let me know.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Foremost will issue a trailer policy. I have one from them for my Aluma motorcycle trailer for when it's not attached to my truck.

·
Administrator
3,715 Posts
I admit that I may be somewhat alone in my perspective, but why can't you just leave the trailer attached to the bike? I pull my Tailwind 24/7/365. My trailer can go anywhere I care to take my bike and does not prohibit me from enjoying my ride. My honest question is "Why do people think one must leave the trailer at the motel?"

Glen

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I have a 12' cable and a strong water-resistant lock, and I secure the cable around a tree or post and through the trailer frame.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I asked about insuring my trailer and agent told me my homeowners policy would cover it. I mite ask again just because.

Reactions: pidjones

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I have only had my trailer (Hannigan GL Seires) for a few years. After the first few trips I purchased a wheel lock so I could leave it detached ,if I wished, when I stopped for the night.

https://www.trimaxlocks.com/shop/trailer-and-tow/tcl65-wheel-chock-lock/

Now when I stop for the night I routinely disconnect it and attach the wheel lock. I have never had an issue.

To some degree, the safety of your equipment depends a lot on where you are. In the 100,000 plus miles plus I have traveled on long road trips, I have only had on occasion where my bike was "molested". It was a minor issue but still an issue.

After that issue, I installed a Scorpio bike alarm on my ST (my touring bike at that time). I have not installed one on the wing yet.

https://ridescorpio.com/srx900/

I also started using a bike half cover at night just to keep the rain off but it does sort of keep the bike out of view.

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/covers/half-cover-detail.html

If you are staying at a motel/hotel and taking day trips, there should be no problem leaving the trailer at the motel/hotel. I would let the front desk staff know, if you think it might be a problem. 99% of the time they are very supportive of riders.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I have checked around for a insurance policy for just my trailer and none of the insurance company's that insure motorcycles will insure the trailer on its own...they consider the trailer a accessory of the motorcycle and only cover the trailer if its attached to the bike and you have accessory coverage. I know some here have said they have insured the trailer on its own but I couldn't find any insurance that would...if someone has a insurance company that does please let me know.

Call Rider Insurance. I have it. I just checked my policy and it states that the trailer is covered whether it is attached or not to the max coverage for accessories. Mine is $8000 accessory coverage.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Check with several Ins Cos. Many will insure the trailer. Make sure they will also cover the contents of the trailer! Not all do, so, check it out, for your own protection. Your clothes, or wives hair dryer, etc, are not considered motorcycle accessories.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
I admit that I may be somewhat alone in my perspective, but why can't you just leave the trailer attached to the bike? I pull my Tailwind 24/7/365. My trailer can go anywhere I care to take my bike and does not prohibit me from enjoying my ride. My honest question is "Why do people think one must leave the trailer at the motel?"

Glen
Glen that is so i can leave my wife at the Hotel with a bottle of wine so i can go riding. LOL

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have a home built cargo trailer and an Aspen Camper trailer. My homebuilt does not have extra insurance other than being covered when attached to the trike. It will come on long trips occasionally if staying at hotels and gets locked to a post if I want to ride around without it for a bit. I usually also never have anything of serious value in it. That will be in the trike or brought into the room. If that cargo trailer gets stolen, I wouldn't be happy but wouldn't be out too much over it.

Now the Aspen has a separate policy through State Farm so when that is left behind at the campground during the day, it is still covered. It is an extra $75 or so a year. That one is more important to me so I wanted the extra coverage on it.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Yupp

Glen
:agree: I don't pull my Bushtec all the time, but when I do, I forget it's back there it pulls so nice truly the bike and trailer become one.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Frankly you never know. Very low likelihood of any trouble but there is always an exception that makes the rule. A relative of ours was traveling cross country last summer (actually a relocating member of the Armed Forces) and while sleeping in a hotel room someone stole his rented U-Haul truck including his car that was attached to a tow dolly.

Insurance or risk it? Constantly towing it? To me this would be a trip of a lifetime and fairly expensive, I would chain up trailer and bike to the biggest concrete abutment I could find anytime they would be out of my sight.

Cheers and have fun!

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
I asked about insuring my trailer and agent told me my homeowners policy would cover it. I mite ask again just because.
Not only ask your agent, but have him show you in writing and be sure it's part of your policy. Hard copy of the policy in writing is the only way to go. In other words, verify what he told you.

·
Registered
684 Posts

Glen
:agree:
However, there are some folks who will look at you funny for doing this. As Glen said, I can ride as fast and twisty as I am comfortable, with or without the trailer. YMMV.

Ride Safe,
Jeff

1 - 20 of 52 Posts