GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would rather ride, but need to haul GL1800 to Maine this summer. Too far for the wife to drive herself, and too much to carry. Will do lots of riding while there.
Question: is anyone familiar with this trailer?
http://www.cuddebacktrailer.com/Big Tex 19SL.htm
It is 4.5 X 9 ft. so should fit the bike. Will weigh about 1600lbs with the 'wing on board, so within limits of our Mercury Villager.
Any input welcome. Also alternatives.
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think it will work, but I would like to see something a little more heavy duty for that long of a trip. The open trailers are all reasonalby priced, but for a little more money you can buy something a little more solid. Also, you should consider you will have a trailer to haul other things as well, so maybe spend a little more and have something that will last a while. The Villager will pull it, but a truck is better. Sometimes the cheap gets expensive-we all fall into that trap so consider that as well.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Trailers

I have a Aluma MC-10 to haul my wing when needed. Wife does not ride so sometimes its necessary to haul the wing.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
What 3putt said, Also think of resale value.

6 to 7 ft wide X 10 to 12 ft would be a good universal size.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I purchased a utility trailer that is 5x10' and it has a 3500# axle and made from 4" angle iron steel frame with that same ramp gate.

I bought it last year for $695 and the floor is 2x8 planks.

Only thing I would want to add is eye bolts (heavy duty) to mount into the floor boards. 2 front and 2 rear. You will need to buy the mounting straps as well. Also get one for mounting/wrapping around the front wheel. That will keep it stable.

*NOTE* DO NOT STRAP TO THE SIDE CRASH BARS OR THE FRONT CRASH BARS. ***

They are not good for an anchoring spot. Frame is the best. And get good rachet straps.

Those are my suggestions. Something else to consider....if you ever decide to trike the bike later on, bet at least a 6' wide trailer. It will save you in the long run.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
153 Posts
Would rather ride, but need to haul GL1800 to Maine this summer. Too far for the wife to drive herself, and too much to carry. Will do lots of riding while there.
Question: is anyone familiar with this trailer?
http://www.cuddebacktrailer.com/Big Tex 19SL.htm
It is 4.5 X 9 ft. so should fit the bike. Will weigh about 1600lbs with the 'wing on board, so within limits of our Mercury Villager.
Any input welcome. Also alternatives.
Thanks,
Dave
When we have to trailer our Wing, most of the time we ride, I use a Kendon Trailer. Works out nice since the trailer balances the Wing just right, and the Geza cover protects it from the elements.

Here's a pic:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I sold my 6x10 enclosed trailer to my neighbor who 'borrowed' it, but then he didn't want to give it back and offered me a deal I couldn't refuse.

used it for the down payment on the new wing...

again, THINGS HAPPEN FOR A REASON!!! :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
almost forgot....wish I had that enclosed trailer now!

IMO, it's the only way to go!

ramp door of course:lol:

·
Registered
58 Posts
The trailers with the fold up mesh metal ramp cause a lot more wind resistance than you would suspect. I would go with something that didn't have the big wind brake deployed all the time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
trailer

You might want to upgrade the wheels, 15" work just fine.

I have the Top Hat, no problems, pull with my 2004 Tarus all day long. Just crank up the front, leave on the hitch, makes the transition over the hump from the ramp to the bed much easier, no bottom out. I also use a 2x4 under the ramp lip. A pringle helps also.

Ray

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
almost forgot....wish I had that enclosed trailer now!

IMO, it's the only way to go!

ramp door of course:lol:
A enclosed trailer would be the only kind I would consider.
To much road grim gets thrown up from your tow vehicle,
and just covering the bike isn't enough protection.....IMO

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm using a 6x 12 Interstate cargo trailer to haul my Wing to AZ for Jan-Feb from Western WA. 1770 miles each way. I use the front wheel chock and I fashioned a removable rear chock too. It is tied with 6 ratchet straps to the usual tie points plus two that tie to the sides of the trailer. With that many supports I have a secure tie-down if any one becomes loose. It's great to have the storage space when the bike is out of the trailer.

At home this trailer has come in real handy to haul furniture, yard waste, and whatever. After going thru downpours leaving WA I would never consider an open trailer to move a Wing across country.

So for about $2400 I'm a happy camper.:coffee1:

BTW, have ridden 3500 miles so far in Arizona since Jan 3. Yes!

·
Registered
394 Posts
It will pull well. It will pull the wi ng. It will be good for lots of other stuff. They are made right down the road from me. Good company, good product, good value. You can always spend more, if how it looks means more than how it works. Pulled from Leonard TX to Visalia Ca. on one like it. No prob. (And back!)
JMHO
Shiv

·
Registered
469 Posts
I think you are fine. I have trailered for quite a few miles at different times with a 5 x 10 trailer with 13 inch tires and ran 80 mph with absolutely no problems. Tie it down right is the most important thing. Granted an enclosed trailer would be ideal but sometimes we have to do with what we have. Good luck and have a fun trip!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Don't mean to hijack but this is trailer related. If you put a bungee around the brake levers and cause them to engage and activate the anti-dive would this be a good idea when trailering (preventing the front shocks from bottoming out if you hit a bump). If you ratchet down the front end tight the forks are probably compressed a lot to begin with. Or does the bikes engine have to be running for the antidive to work?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts