GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Garage space is a problem for some considering trailers, as is cost. I would like to see a trailer offering about 20 to 24 cu. ft of enclosed space, with a tongue mounted cooler rack that is designed to stand on end in the garage.

Changing the subject slightly, there's no question that there are numerous excellent and stylish trailers on the market. In fact, there appear to be almost as many brands/variations as there are trailers. I think that an easily storable trailer built in volume and offered through dealers at an affordable price could quickly become a huge success. It should in my opinion be available at least for the first few years in one color and with no options and sold at a price point that would encourage people to buy one for just in case situations. It could be targeted to both touring motorcyclists and small car owners.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Country Trailers in Wisconsin makes a trailer that is the size you mentioned and has a stand available to lift it on its end.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get the impression that the "Country" trailer is pricy if for no other reason, because they don't include pricing on the web site.

The point that I tried to make (with little success <g>) is that ! think there is a large market for small trailers that combine convenience with price, to motorcyclists as well as small car owners. So far, small trailers amount to cottage industry with no one company building enough to take advantage of economies of scale. It was just a thought...

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i dont remember the name, but i saw a fiberglass trailer at an event that had a tip up stand option

it was a nice idea, but the trailer was poorly made, in my opinion

mostly a very large cartop carrier on wheels

i saw a few people that used a small electric winch to crank their trailer to the ceiling of their garage

harbor freight has some very cheap, 110 volt winches

remember the trailer weighs only a couple hundred pounds

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i dont remember the name, but i saw a fiberglass trailer at an event that had a tip up stand option

it was a nice idea, but the trailer was poorly made, in my opinion

mostly a very large cartop carrier on wheels

i saw a few people that used a small electric winch to crank their trailer to the ceiling of their garage

harbor freight has some very cheap, 110 volt winches

remember the trailer weighs only a couple hundred pounds
Being able to store the trailer in a little bit of space is icing for the cake. My main thought is that the market could be expanded considerably if some company were to gear up to take advantage of economies of scale, and bring the price down. Given limited production, today's offerings are not, for the most part, marked up unreasonably. Prices could be lowered dramatically if the volumes were ramped up and the market expanded to more effectively exploit the market among small car owners. Everyone with an Accord or a Miata, or whatever... could use a trailer if the price were right and it were easy to store out of the way.

Just noodling...

B

·
0 Posts
Not a bad idea. I would think (depending on the make of the trailer, some would just not work) that it would be easy enough to weld some angle iron or channel together into an L shape bracket and make it mountable to the trailer frame with 4 quick release pins. Then, you could stand it up on end without fear of damaging the tail lights. Of course, trailer contents would have to be minimal for storage in this way (a small concern). Easy to ad some castering wheels on the L bracket for maneuverability on end. Must ad to my "to do" list.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have an Arizona trailer that I bought from Trailmaster. They have a full line of cargo and camper trailers starting at only $695. The web site is www.trailmasterinc.com.
There are tons of nice trailers on the market and the Trailmaster model that you mentioned which includes the roof top carrier is certainly functional and comparatively cost-effective. Trailmaster alone offers about 15 different models and sub models. I doubt that any one model by any one company accounts for more that 300 units per year on average makeing it impossible for manufacturers to achieve economies of scale.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Country Trailers are very nice. I have a friend that has one,
and Ed the owner is a great guy. He has a stand that you can stand it on end, and it takes very little room to store. As far as pricing goes, it's on
his website. The White & Black are standard colors, I believe.
The trailer is built of very strong fiberglass, so I think it will stand
the test of time. It is built on a standard frame, and torsion suspension.
Give Ed a call, and I'm sure he will deal on price.

I for one, went for what I thought was the best, Bushtec,
but the cost is almost double.

Just my 3 cents.

'

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have one of these and stand it on the
rear bumper in the winter.
There is room inside for a cooler, or
you could mount one on the tongue. It
wasn't cheap but has served me well
for about 25,000 miles.
I don't think there is enough demand
for a single company to make thousands
of trailers.
http://www.cycle-mate.com/products/trailers/default.asp?TrailerModel=1

·
Registered
119 Posts
This was pretty simple

It's not my idea, so I can't take any credit. Cost = $75 including a hand crank winch from HF.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
HAND CRANK????
Ya gotta be a real winger.
Spend more.
Power winch, remote control, with LED lights and a teddy bear on the floor......

·
Registered
748 Posts
You would have to check, but it seems to me that Bushtec makes or used to make a wall hanger for their trailers.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Of course all the neat ones are $4000 :-(
We can fix you up with a nice Aluma trailer for less than $4000. We can even arrange delivery to Mpls/St. Paul this Friday if you call before Friday AM.

Give us a call.

Leonard
Thomas Bus Sales, Inc.
Des Moines, Iowa
800-362-2092

1 - 20 of 20 Posts