GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at trailer tires. Mine are 5.30 x 12. I cant find a tire size chart to compare the tires labeled ST 145/R 12 to the 5.30 x 12. I know the R in the 145 stands for radial. How do these compare in size? For cargo trailers are there any advantages in radial tires.

Thanks R

·
Registered
906 Posts
I have been looking at trailer tires. Mine are 5.30 x 12. I cant find a tire size chart to compare the tires labeled ST 145/R 12 to the 5.30 x 12. I know the R in the 145 stands for radial. How do these compare in size? For cargo trailers are there any advantages in radial tires.

Thanks R
If the 145 is millimeters, then that tire would be about 5 45/64" wide as compared to the other tire at 5.30" maybe?

·
Registered
479 Posts
they are just about the same size, don't know any advantages to running a radial, been getting good miles out of bias trailer tires.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
As you evaluate the tires make sure you maintain the same load range. The tires that came on your trailer are designed to carry so much weight and you do not want a tire with a lesser carrying capacity.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

thanks all I appreciate your help.

Rick

·
Registered
173 Posts
Tire speeds

My tires from my trailer came with tires that were speed rated for 87 mph, the new tires I have are only rated for 65, load of 950

·
Registered
2,085 Posts

Thanks R

I posted this back in August. I like em. Read my sig for size.

ALuma and car tires
Just mounted new Yokahoma radial 12 inch all season car tires on my Aluma trailer. It rides so much smoother than the OEM Carlisle trailer tires. Pulls great at 80+ mph.. Getting ready for a long trip to North Rim Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Arches park etc. second week of September.. Will see how they wear.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Tire size

I've been buying tires for a long time-,M/C, Car's, Big truck's, , not even thinking about what the numbers mean, Maybe I should know BUT I don't. So ------- 155-80.xR-12. I know R' is Radial -- 12-- is rim size, What is 155_80.{ Is 155 cc.=width??}& 80. Is what?? I did find out the difference between Radial & Bias. Radial's are better, even on a small M/C cargo trailer. Thank's Harold,,:joke::joke: { Right after i posted this i went on Google == Found all i needed to know. thank's Harold

·
Registered
445 Posts
I switched to the 145R12 on my Bunk House and they are a little taller. I had to remove off the side of my fenders to install them, my 2007 does have a much longer flange down on the fender than the ones they produce now. I purchased them from Tires Easy and installed just before my trip to Alaska. We then traveled to California after we got back from Alaska. We have about 17,000 miles on them and they still look good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts