GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back ABATE in California convinced one of the legislators to submit a bill to modify the towing regulations for motorcycles. I think it went great until they asked for CHP's input. Their reply was manufacturers do not recommend trailer towing by motorcycles. That seemed to end it right there.

I'm wondering if there is any data that would suppply the needed information to convince the legislature / CHP that we could revive this bill. I would think most riders are going to be more dilligent when towing a trailer and not make maneuvers that would cause an accident. I emailed Tom Finch and he has towed a trailer since 1957. That's a long history and would like to know how long commercially built trailers have been available.

I also dislike the 55mph restriction and traveling in the far right lane. Too much debris, bad road, and encounters with the big rigs. I really need some hard factual info to help get this going again. Hope some of you can help.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Be careful. As broke as California finds itself, regulating motorcycle trailers could be attractive as in more potential citations, extra registration fees, etc.

When one asks any government agency to regulate something, they're asking for increased user costs and bureaucracy.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be careful. As broke as California finds itself, regulating motorcycle trailers could be attractive as in more potential citations, extra registration fees, etc.

When one asks any government agency to regulate something, they're asking for increased user costs and bureaucracy.
Registration renewals after July 1 were substantially LOWER. It was amazing. It certainly wouldn't cost an extra dime to change the regulation.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Be careful what you ask for. The CHP reply that motorcycle manufacturers do not recommend towing a trailer could cause the conservative government folks to ban the motorcycle trailer in their state for both locals and transients. Like the helmet laws. :22yikes:

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
First time towing a trailer in CA for me was this past May. I had zero issues in over 1500 miles riding on all types of roads from goat trails to Interstates.

Maintain your speed, hug the right lanes as much as feasible...I had no worries.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm looking for information as to how long trailers have been commercially available and any accident frequency data if they were a cause to the accident.

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
I'm looking for information as to how long trailers have been commercially available and any accident frequency data if they were a cause to the accident.
Have you contacted Tom Finch?

If there's anyone who might have access to data like that, it's him.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. I PM'd Tom and he replied that he had been towing since 1957 and all the mileage he's put on all his trailers. His only remark was about an accident due to not having ABS. Other than that, did not provide what I was asking for.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The population that rides a motorcycle and pulls a trailer are small, very small as compared to other modes of travel. I doubt very much that the data you seek exists anywhere.

I would suggest that asking the "legislature" or "government" to revive a bill would potentially (probably?) create and issue

As another had said....once a politician gets hold of the fact that motorcycle manufactureres (CanAm being an exception) do not recommend towing trailers you may just wind up with a law against motorcycles pulling trailers

As an aside NJ just instituted an Anti-bullying law...fisrts case was submittied day before yesterday.

One student claimed another had "cooties"...yes this is true and this is what happens when stupid politicians get involved

That siad, the data probably exists for how many people got tickets in CA while pulling a trailer with a motorcycle...I bet the number is negligble

1 - 9 of 9 Posts