GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering how many people use a Receiver cargo carriers instead of a trailer for extra storage. Even tho the CSC doesn't have a std receiver hitch I think I can fab something that uses the CSC version and the left over saddle bags. But wonder if it worth while since the recommended tongue weight is only 50 lbs. Would think that would be easier to handle than a trailer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
cmore,

We use both. We have the small Rivco rack that has an adapter you install in your trailer hitch... and we have a small trailer. For day trips, poker runs, trips to the lake, etc... we use the rivco rack and haul a small ice chest and our camp chairs.

For longer, multi-day (or trips that will involve "shopping") we take the trailer. Catch did make a valid statement about forgetting it's back there... I've done the embarrassing move of cutting a corner short a couple of times and boucing the trailer off the curb... little nerve racking :shock:.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have used both

a cooler rack and a decent--waterproof-- bag works just fine

the trailer works nice for more junk

i had als motorcycle acc, custom make a rack for me, about $85 shipped

i had it raised a bit to clear the pipes, i didnt want ugly turndowns

·
Registered
442 Posts
I use both, on trips alone I use the carrier when SO is with me or going to be gone longer than 2 weeks I take the Bushtec. I don't like to wash things when I am traveling.

S

·
0 Posts
I built a nice little cooler rack which attaches to the receiver and it's very handy for snacks and pop/water.
I also built a trailer that does not use a ball hitch but fits directly into the same receiver. Both are handy but the cooler rack does not effect handling nor braking anymore than carrying 10lbs of stuff in the trunk.
Pulling a trailer does effect braking and cornering but you just have to be aware and compensate just like you would pulling a boat behind the truck.
Trailer is great for golf and camping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts