GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had dealer install 4 wire flat plug for my HF trailer when I purchased wing. Now I need to go to the 5 wire round plug for new (used ) trailer I have. Is there a fairly simple way to get my 5 wire hook-up? Is there a kit I can buy? is it a simple plug in to factory harness?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I found a good article on this subject:

http://community.cruisercustomizing.com/_Motorcycle-Trailer-Wiring-How-To/blog/3216033/22960.html

What is the difference between a five-wire and a four-wire system, and how do they work? A five-wire system operates like this: Each of the rear light functions get a separate wire, tail/running light, brake light, left turn signal, right turn signal, and license plate light. A four-wire system combines the brake and turn signal functions.
So what wiring options do you have if you have a four-wire trailer and a five-wire bike? There are two options; you could rewire the trailer so that it will operate on a five-wire system by separating the turn signal and brake functions or purchase a five to four wire converter for your motorcycle so that it will send a four-wire signal to your four-wire trailer. Five to four wire converters can be purchased at almost any auto supply or R.V. supply store.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hey zeke, I may be wrong and if so I appolgize in advance, but i think the license plate light is the same wire as the running light/tail light. The fifth wire is for the ground wire.

Joe in Modesto

1 - 4 of 4 Posts