GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I may have found me a trailer for my 2010 Wing. It has a flat-4 wiring connector as it is the same as my Nissan PU I will be pulling it home with from the guy that I am buyin it from.

My question is: Who sells the flat-4 connector kits for the GL1800? I did a bit of Google searching and did not find much to my liking.

Anyway for those of you out there that have the flat-4 connecters for your trailers, what are you using and where did you get them?

As always, all replies are appreciated!

·
Registered
905 Posts
You can buy the 5 to 4 adapter from electrical connection, or run down to autozone and buy the hopnel brand one...the EC one is plug n play with their normal wiring kit, but you can use the hopnel one; I ran it with my Piggybacker for a while and ripped
it out when I got a 5 wire trailer...

·
Banned
939 Posts
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289570

see JMUSICK1 post down about half way down

He has a good photo posted. I picked my 5 to 4 up at a local marine dealer. I could not find one at NAPPA or or our independent auto parts store in my town.

I am going to rewire my trailer to a 5 wire. I think it makes sense if you have the time and are thinking about adding extra lighting or a strobe brake bar in the future.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK guys, then why do I need a 5 to 4 adapter from electrical connection to make it work. I mean, I got break lights, lights, left turn signal and right turn signal. That's 4. What do I need 5, or is that what I got already? Maybe its late and my poor feeble mind just aint understanding.

·
Registered
905 Posts
You can...if you're gonna make your own harness tie ins, but the EC trailer wiring kit is an isolator harness which is a relay pack that will save your bikes wiring if there's a wiring fault...it uses the bike lights as signals and pulls the power directly from the battery instead of adding load to the lighting fuses on the bike...if the trailer shorts out, the bikes lights still work...

Most isolator harnesses like the EC one come as a 5 wire system, thus the need for the 5 - 4 converter...

·
Registered
905 Posts
Plus the EC kits are plug n play...no cutting, no soldering, no figuring out what color is what...convenience is worth the money IMHO...

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Plus the EC kits are plug n play...no cutting, no soldering, no figuring out what color is what...convenience is worth the money IMHO...

Well fine and dandy! Sounds like you got me ready to rock and roll. If someone can get me a website that would be great as well as a phone number and I be doing some serious plugging (no, not that kind of plugging.! dang it wish it was!) just plugging in lights to my new trailer.

And silly me- I aint got my hitch yet so it will have to wait a few more weeks or so looks like!

Hey fellahs- no kidding- all help appreciated.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
OK guys, then why do I need a 5 to 4 adapter from electrical connection to make it work. I mean, I got break lights, lights, left turn signal and right turn signal. That's 4. What do I need 5, or is that what I got already? ....
The Wing uses separate bulbs (filaments) for the brake lights and the turn signals (five-wire system). A four-wire system uses the same bulb filament for brake and turn signals. That's why you cannot hook the two different systems together. The 5 to 4 adapter contains the logic necessary to 'translate' between the two systems and light the proper bulb filaments on the trailer.

·
Banned
939 Posts
I am still learning too with the trailer wiring but here is how it works according to me the NON ELECTRICIAN who has no fear.

Is this how it works after the “isolator” Gilbee? I have a 5 wire isolator and the 5 to 4 converter on my set up.

The Wing is five wire
1) brake
2) left turn
3) right turn
4) running light
5)ground

On the trailer the turn and stop functions are incorporated
1)left stop and turn
2) right turn and stop
3)running light
4)ground

If you hook it up to your four wire trailer without a converter your brake lights will cancel out your turn signals if you are on the brake and turn at the same time.

The converter does its “thing” and incorporates the independent brake and turn wires into combined brake and turn somehow. I do not know the electronics going on in the box.

If you wire it direct by splitting the Wing brake to both turn signals on the trailer you will still get the problem of your brake canceling out your turn.
That is my non electrician answer.

I think this is due to the 4 wire set up being able to read different voltage coming from brake and turn combined function and understand the difference i.e two filament non led bulbs. But with led you still get the same SNFU if you try to wire your brake direct to each turn. It took me two beers to figure this out on mine.

You do need the converter but again I would advise adding more lights and rewiring to a five wire on the trailer from the get go.

Hopefully someone with a more inclusive grasp of the electronics can make this more clear and correct any misconceptions I might have with my explanation.

Sorry I do not have a link Rustydust but one very similar to my 5 to 4 adapter is on that link I posted to above.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm glad I bought the isolator...when I bought a 5 wire trailer, I wired the socket based on a standard I found...needless to say the trailer wasn't wired that way, but the isolator prevented any damage to the bike while I trial and errored a correct wiring pattern...I'd hold off on buying the kit if you are looking at some of the more expensive hitches...my bushtec hitch came with an EC wiring kit in the box when I bought it from this board sponsor's store, but I had to get a 5-4 adapter separately...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts