GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 4 wire trailer harness and 5 wire harness converter and have not even a clue where to start!! I'm not too good at wiring....especially when the directions aren't clear to me and with no pictures, saying to consult my service manual which I don't have. Last time I'm buying Add On! I highlighted where they said to start and have no clue where it is...do I really have to take off my fender?

The people I ordered from said I needed both 4 wire harness and 5 wire harness converter. Now that's when I had a standard 4 wire flat plug trailer. Now I bought a trailer that has a 6 pin round connector that I will use instead. Soooo....my question is can I just use the 4 wire trailer harness straight to the 6 pin connector on the trailer and not use the converter?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Yes, you will have to remove the fender but it is very simple and is only 4 bolts IIRC. That is how you will get access to the bike side wiring. First, what is the trailer make and model that you are going to use?

If you are saying that your trailer has a 6 pin round, then you will need a 6 pin round female connector for the bike. Something like this will be what you need:
https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Pollak/PK12720.html
You will then need a suitable mounting bracket for it on your bike although some have drilled a hole in the fender and mounted it that way. And it is actually going to be a little easier for wiring because you will not need the 5-4 converter. You need to find out the wiring colors and functions on your trailer to match them up. And an Isolator will be needed for the bike side. There are isolators that plug into the factory wiring that you will wire up to your bike side female connector. https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800_isolated_trailer_harness/147725
Instructions here: http://www.s428895111.onlinehome.us/blog/downloads/files/Installation%20Instructions/52-/52-694.pdf
There will be a ground wire, running light wire, brake wire, left turn signal wire, and right turn signal wire that need to be connected to your new 6 pin female connector. On some trailers, the center pin for the wiring connector will do nothing or it may work brakes on the trailer. If it does nothing, then you can just forget it and wire up the other functions which will be the 5 outside pins.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Does your trailer have separate turn signals and brake lights or are they combined into two light assemblies? What kind of connector do you currently have on the bike? (If any?). Your instructions (so we can tell what kind of parts you have on hand) are too small for me to read on the iPad.

My guess is whatever you have is not what you need.

You should have a set of relays that are wired into the harness on the bike. (You will need to remove your rear fender) some of these can be purchased as plug and play, (recommended) while others would have to be spliced in. (I recommend you buy a plug and play) You should then have a 5 or 6 wire outlet (match the one on your trailer) which will have to be wired into the output wires from the relay box to match the wires on the trailer plug. This will drive you nuts if you don’t understand.

My suggestion;

Find a techy experienced friend, give him your credit card and let him order what you need.

Wait a week, then buy them a case of beer.

Watch.

Ride....

Done.

No offense, but with the questions you’re asking, you’re going to need more help than we can type... (Just trying to be realistic). Others may be better than I at helping...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, you will have to remove the fender but it is very simple and is only 4 bolts IIRC. That is how you will get access to the bike side wiring. First, what is the trailer make and model that you are going to use?

If you are saying that your trailer has a 6 pin round, then you will need a 6 pin round female connector for the bike. Something like this will be what you need:
https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Pollak/PK12720.html
You will then need a suitable mounting bracket for it on your bike although some have drilled a hole in the fender and mounted it that way. And it is actually going to be a little easier for wiring because you will not need the 5-4 converter. You need to find out the wiring colors and functions on your trailer to match them up. And an Isolator will be needed for the bike side. There are isolators that plug into the factory wiring that you will wire up to your bike side female connector. https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1800_isolated_trailer_harness/147725
Instructions here: http://www.s428895111.onlinehome.us/blog/downloads/files/Installation%20Instructions/52-/52-694.pdf
There will be a ground wire, running light wire, brake wire, left turn signal wire, and right turn signal wire that need to be connected to your new 6 pin female connector. On some trailers, the center pin for the wiring connector will do nothing or it may work brakes on the trailer. If it does nothing, then you can just forget it and wire up the other functions which will be the 5 outside pins.
Thanks for all that info!! My new to me trailer is a Lumina and the guy wired it for his Venture he sold, and had the 6 pin plug. Maybe it won't be too bad...I hope. :smile2:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does your trailer have separate turn signals and brake lights or are they combined into two light assemblies? What kind of connector do you currently have on the bike? (If any?). Your instructions (so we can tell what kind of parts you have on hand) are too small for me to read on the iPad.

My guess is whatever you have is not what you need.

You should have a set of relays that are wired into the harness on the bike. (You will need to remove your rear fender) some of these can be purchased as plug and play, (recommended) while others would have to be spliced in. (I recommend you buy a plug and play) You should then have a 5 or 6 wire outlet (match the one on your trailer) which will have to be wired into the output wires from the relay box to match the wires on the trailer plug. This will drive you nuts if you don’t understand.

My suggestion;

Find a techy experienced friend, give him your credit card and let him order what you need.

Wait a week, then buy them a case of beer.

Watch.

Ride....

Done.

No offense, but with the questions you’re asking, you’re going to need more help than we can type... (Just trying to be realistic). Others may be better than I at helping...

:thumbup:
Thank you! Yes I know they are hard to read, this is what I bought:

https://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/_5_to_4_pin_trailer_harness_converter_/120/51253

https://addonaccessories.net/gl1800-abs-non-abs-isolated-trailer-wire-harness-kit.html

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Thanks for all that info!! My new to me trailer is a Lumina and the guy wired it for his Venture he sold, and had the 6 pin plug. Maybe it won't be too bad...I hope. :smile2:

Ok, you should be able to use the trailer isolator wiring harness you bought either way. It is pretty simple to hook up. Once you remove the fender. The connectors are color coded so its easy to figure out where they connect. The bike side connectors will be up towards the trunk, probably in a rubber boot. You will need to disconnect one at a time and connect the corresponding Addon connectors in between. Then there is a red wire on the Addon harness that will need to be snaked over to the battery and connected to the positive post of the battery.

But the next part depends on a few things. Looking at the Lumina trailer, it originally says it comes with a 4 flat connector. You say that the previous owner changed it. Are you absolutely sure that he changed it to a round 6 pin and not a round 4 pin? If he changed it to a 6 pin, did he rewire the trailer or did he simply use a 6 pin round and only use 4 of the pins? If he didnt rewire it and used only 4 of the pins, it is still going to need a 5-4 converter and you will need to buy a 6 pin round vehicle side connector. Another thing to mention, I tried to get that 5-4 Addon converter to work with my cargo trailer with LED lights and it wouldnt. I had to pick up a Hopkins 48895 5-4 converter as it was designed to work with LED lights or regular bulbs. You will then need to find out which pins he used for what function and then match that on your trailer side connector. Now if he rewired it to a 5 wire setup, then you dont need a 5-4 converter. But you will still have to find out what hole on the trailer side matched what function.

Now if he went to a 4 pin round (which would make.more sense), then you would still wire in the 5-4 converter to your trailer Isolator harness on one side (5 wires) and then the 4 wires coming off the converter to your vehicle side 4 pin making sure that the pins and function match up to the connector pins on the trailer side.

Another possibility is that he may have used a 5 pin round which looks identical to a 6 pin round but doesnt have that center pin.

And I apologize and I'm not really trying to confuse you but the most important thing you need to figure out how the trailer is wired. Is it a 4, 5, or 6 pin round because it is no longer the original connector. And then was it rewired or does it still use the original 4 wire setup. You will have to open up that trailer side connector and find out the wire colors and how many of the pins are being used, and what color goes to what pins. It sounds a lot more difficult than it is but if you have some basic skills. you really will easily be able to finish this project.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I hate to say this to you, but that looks just like the one I took out of a friends 1800 after it went bad in a month. I ordered an Electrical connection one for him and that one is still working good.
As for the trailer side of things. A battery, test leads, a test light, and remote starter switch would be diagnostic tools you would need to learn what terminal does what, so that you know how to wire the 6 pin bike side connector. An ohm meter is another way, but can be somewhat more misleading.
I agree with finding someone near by that can help. 2 heads are better than 1. Good luck.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Before you do anything else, decide what you want. If you have a 5 pin on the bike and want to change the trailer do that. If you want the bike to be 6 pin like the trailer go that way. The flat connectors are a little easier because they don't have to be mounted to the bike. Mine is zip tied to the hitch.

It is not too difficult to to change out the wiring harness. I'd stay away from having to have an adapter in the middle just in case you forget it or lose it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts