GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help with wiring my motor trike to hook up my trailer. Where do I connect the relay sub harness? A friend says it is inside the trunk lid on the bike, but that does not seem right to me. Will I be able to get to it by removing the seat, or just where do I plug in the sub harness? I have the sub harness and the isolator harness. :? Help, I know you trikers know how to do this.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
If you are just a little on the unlucky side it is under the TRUNK!!!!! If you are prone to good luck it was moved by the installer to just in front of the trunk base under the seat. In either case your going to have to take the seat off to find out. I ran mine in through the hole that is in the top of the Trike body, where the cable release is, and have the wires, and connection inside the lower trunk. That keeps it out of sight and out of the weather/road grime under the body. I moved the harness, and connectors from the center of the trunk frame. To the base of the front of the trunk for easer access. I ran the wiring inside the trunk along the body crease and down the side (Right side), and over to the center of the trunk. With a 12" extender attached to the plug I then run it out and under the lid to be hooked up. I have some photos but will have to look for them on another machine.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
George, as you know, I am not a wrench, but have a question. I got the trailer hitch installed when I ordered my Motor Trike kit. I do not own or pull a trailer (yet) but looked under the hitch to see if there was any wiring. There is wiring with a four outlet plug attached to the hitch. IF I get a trailer is this all I need to hook it up...don't know about this relay stuff...if it don't work, I hit it with a hammer.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
George,

It sounds like yours is already wired, and ready to go. That is what I have, a 4 wire standard connection.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Thanks, George. Yes, that is what I have. Guess all I have to do now is get a trailer. My installer takes the left over bags and middle plate (?) and mounts them on a small trailer frame he builds and paints them to match...they are neat and hold all I would need. Guess that is all I need, although I put a small duffel bag on the back seat and it holds a bunch. I travel alone and don't need all of the stuff two would carry. My brakes seem to be working pretty well...not great, but they stop without pumping. Later

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to both of you, Georges, I knew you would come through. I guess the first thing to do is get the trike up off the ground to see if there is some hidden wires on it. I looked, just laying on the ground, but saw nothing. However, when I put on an accessory plug, I noticed that something had been added to the battery, had the blue crimp on connector on the end. I will just go ahead and pull the seat and take a quick look. The trailer I bought from a friend has the round 6 pole plug, so I won't need a converter. I have everything I need, just have to get it on. Again, thanks to both of you.

Safe and happy riding. 8)

C

·
0 Posts
KJ5IX said:
OH MY GOD DUDE...
Im glad mine was under the seat.
I had previously installed Lewis/Ec's spoiler running light harness, under the seat. I just plugged the EC trailer isolater connector in the same connector i front of the spoiler harness. igot this info directly from EC, and it worked perfectly the first time out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
wiring

Are you sure this will work with a trailer using GW taillights? I tried to do this using my saddlebags for storage and I had to use a five-wire plug. When I had my Trike Shop Conversion done they left my six wires for my Bushtec Trailer and also did a 4 wire. So what I am saying is it may depend on what trailer you have or purchase.

Stan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts