GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building a HF trailer and got stop lights separate from the turn signal lights so as to have the same look as the bike. The bike is wired up as five wire; however, the problem is I can’t find a five wire kit for the trailer side. Is there such a thing and where do I find it?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I have and it is a five wire plug at the bike end, I just need to get five wires on the new trailer now and no one makes it that I can find

·
Registered
27 Posts
Trailer Wiring

You might have luck at a U-Haul rental place or a trailering specialty shop.Look them up on the Net and give them a call.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried etrailer and they said no noe makes one longer than around 18" as the brake (blue) wire is for a brake system and not for a turn sig. lights, I may just need to make the hole thing myself

·
Banned
939 Posts
in the middle of it

I am adding running lights, an extra set of turn lights, and a brake bar to a 4 wire trailer set up right now. Think I will have it done this weekend. It gets interesting.
Will post more pics and my best guess solution on my "flat bed trailers" thread on the trailer sub section when I get done. I started that thread up a week ago or so.
Should be done with my mods this weekend.
Currently it is all in spaghetti mode but I used a five to four box converter and added two extra wires via a quick disconnect to incorporate a brake bar plus two additional turn lights. I will have full brake illumination on every marker with the additional turn signals working when that is the command (braking and turning at the same time).
Might add a a strobe function to the brake bar but I am still doing research on that. It lets you program the LED circuit board to flash strobe and then go solid when you hit the brakes. I have a specialty one coming in the mail for my Honda 919 from a company called Custom LED and if that works to design I think I am going to do my trailer and my Wing the same way.
Not pretty (I will have a five inch converter between my four wire plug on the trailer and my five wire round to the bike but I think I can make it look acceptable.
After a few beers and not finding a solution online with my research it seemed like the perfect solution to me with the idea of Light It Up as not to get run over.
It is now a cell phone world and regardless of new laws I do not think that is going to change. It is one thing to get run over by someone that is intoxicated or having a heart attack but my guess would be that 20 to 30 percent of drivers on the road are talking on the phone these days so the once in a lifetime “things happen” occurrence with my preventive behavior is now more like an ounce of prevention is worth it as everyday behavior of the cell phone has in my opinion changed the road.
I was on my town bike my 919 and I had a guy lock up his brakes coming up on me at a light this spring in a 45mph zone I was the only one at the light and very light traffic both directions of the road (he was in a ford expedition) and as for cross traffic a gentelman was just completing his left hand turn.
I never gave it much thought before then as I usually keep an eye in my mirrors and flash my brakes anyway but I was checking out a female distraction at the time that was waiting to cross in the cross walk in my direction of tavel(keep the comments to yourself she was checking me out too). I did not even see him just heard the squeal of the brakes.
Granted my 919 is not the Wing as far as visibility but it put the spook in me. He got out of his car (not some young kid a gentleman in his late 40’s) and was pale white and apologized up and down.
Apologies are all fine and dandy but in my humble opinion that would be worst way ever to go out on two wheels.
Who knows if it would have made any difference if I literally had the White house Christmas tree strapped to the rear fender but I have a whole new attitude about lighting up the rear end as you never know when you will have your hands off the bars in neutral checking out a rear end crossing the street.

Would be very interested if anyone has put a strope function on their wing and or trailer.
Will post when I get my trailer mods done and if anyone also has a 919 and wants to see that project send me a message and I will let you know how that goes and get you the details.

·
Banned
939 Posts
strobe

***Would be very interested if anyone has put a STROBE function on their Wing and or trailer.

·
Banned
939 Posts
If i had to do it all over again

P.S. 5 wire is now common on trailers and if you want to wire the whole deal from scratch all the trailer sites have packages. My guess is your local auto parts store will have one as well.

Next time around I am going to bag the 4 wire trailer set up all together and rewire completely to give full brake and turn simultaneously and if the strobe works add that in too from the get go. The strobe function needs an LED board that will accommodate and is more than just a wiring deal.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
A few nights ago, I was out taking a little joy ride, and there was another bike that was maybe 1/2 mile or more ahead. When he was approaching the stop light, and applied his brakes, he had one of those red strobes, and WOW that really got my attention!!! Beats the heck out of any thing else for grabbing one's attention for sure.
Steve F

·
Registered
2 Posts
A few nights ago, I was out taking a little joy ride, and there was another bike that was maybe 1/2 mile or more ahead. When he was approaching the stop light, and applied his brakes, he had one of those red strobes, and WOW that really got my attention!!! Beats the heck out of any thing else for grabbing one's attention for sure.
Steve F
Heres a place to get the five wire set up. http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/1800_electrical

·
Banned
939 Posts
I built this circuit, and installed it into the center brake light of my trailer. Helps keep folks back a bit. I have it for LED's:

Brake Light Flasher
Very cool Giznaz. You do this as a hobby or do you also have some electrical skill as a profession? This entire LED circuitry board deal has definitely got my interest.

Here is my 919 board (does strobe brake and both directional turn signals) I just got in the mail plus two inserts for my Givi side cases that do turn and running lights only.

I am going to finish up my trailer tonight and will post that set up on that flat bed trailer post i strated in the trailer section.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Heres a place to get the five wire set up. http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/1800_electrical
Is this the one you are talking about? I've been looking for something like this myself. Thanks:lol:

Price:$14.00

Item: 45-1848
Details:
This is a 5 to 4 pin trailer harness converter. This is designed to convert a 5 wire system that is standard on vehicles that have separate turn signals and brake lights to a 4 wire system that is standard on many trailers that use a single lamp for both turn signals and brake light functions. It comes with a flat 4 pin trailer plug and wiring instructions.

·
Banned
939 Posts
the functional hack job

Here is how I rigged up my spaghetti adapter from a 5 to 4 system.

Not the prettiest job but If the “box” stands the test of time I will wire it in and hide the box up with the wires under the back fender.

I am pretty sure this is not exactly how a professional would do it...But it got the job done and the extra leads are for a future strobe bar that I can program plus one allowing my “extra” added turn lights to allow full break light on both sides to function while turning signals or flashers are on with brake at the same time.

All in it was $25 bucks, two zip ties, a half roll of electrical tape, and just the right amount of cocktails project.

Fun was had and some lessons learned for next time. If you click on the thumbnail photos they are a little eaiser to see.

Next time i will rewire the trailer to 5 wire from the start.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here is how I rigged up my spaghetti adapter from a 5 to 4 system.
Hi,

A bit of a thread hijack, sorry, but I was looking for wiring harness tips for ABS model with trailer. I was surprised to see your trailer pic as I am building something every similar for our Lab to come touring.

With the dog-box so low down, have you had any problems with exhaust gases for the poor old mutt?

·
Banned
939 Posts
Hi,

A bit of a thread hijack, sorry, but I was looking for wiring harness tips for ABS model with trailer. I was surprised to see your trailer pic as I am building something every similar for our Lab to come touring.

With the dog-box so low down, have you had any problems with exhaust gases for the poor old mutt?

I thought about this too and even was going to put in a plexiglass wing screen/deflector but decided against it after some:excited: test runs.

My experimentation included putting a battery carbon monoxide dectector
In the kennel for a few of the test runs which never went off. I also have turn down exhaust tips but not sure that makes any difference.

After I was reasonably sure I was not going to kill my hound off we went. He never balked at loading "kennel-ing up" but something was not right when he dismounted he just seemed annoyed with his ears. :?:

The way I saw it this was too much wind or a whistling effect of the holes on the side of the kennel. I solved this by buying a kennel cover which I run with the front up completely but it has side ventilation via rubber mesh windows that get rid of any whistling. I intend to rotate the kennel 180 when we ride in the rain.

Since this no issues when he unloads and he wants to go when I kennel him up. I just open the door and he jumps up and loads with tail wagging.

I will have many more photos of the whole set up on that "flat bed wagon type trailers" as I intend to loosely document the first distance voyage of this trailer set up in a few weeks on a trip I am taking.

Keep me posted on your endeavors with your set up as well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I thought about this too and even was going to put in a plexiglass wing screen/deflector but decided against it after some test runs.
Thanks for the reply. I was given a HF 48" x 40" trailer frame with 12" wheels. I have just started drawing it all up (retired Engineer).

I think I will make a dual purpose thing with storage in the base and the dog in the top, so exhaust should not be an issue.

The top has two sections an open but caged and the other is a kennel type thing as he can sleep in there or get out of the noise and wind if he likes. He can move from one to the other or lay half in and half out.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Very cool. You should start up a new thread.

I think a lot of folks would like to see your deluxe rolling kennel come together myself included.

I think you might plant a lot of seeds with your project.

You should definitely start a new thread.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts