GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm borrowing a friends trailer. What is needed as far as wiring and hook up goes?

thanks,
Dale :?

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Well, Dale, you didn't give much info here. Be nice to know if your bike has a hitch. If so, is the bike already wired?

First thing is an isolator to keep problems with the trailer's wiring from affecting the bike's. Next, determine how the trailer's plug is wired, not colors but functions, i.e., R turn, L turn, brakes, running and ground. If the trailer's got a dome light or other accessory, it may also have a hot wire for that. The bike's plug must be a mate for the trailer's. Then you have to tie the bike's pigtail to the isolator harness, matching functions with the trailer, and the bike will be ready as long as it already has a hitch.

Another obstacle is, if the trailer is a 4 wire system, you'll have to get a converter because the bike is 5-wire. U-Haul's converter #13486 works for most folks but some trailer's have some odd wiring systems and this converter won't work, but other's will - go figure.

If I knew more about your situation I could narrow this advice down a bit. Anyway, hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts