GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have good pictures on the proper tie down points on the 1800 while trailering and any good hints. Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Tie Down

If you work at it you can slide up some lines from inside the front faring and get them around the trippel tree....also...take the seat off and tie to the frame.....Dave

·
Registered
683 Posts
If you have a "Gold Book" the steps are covered in it. Removal of the seat isn't required, but side cover removal is. Soft loop ties for the triple tree, and from the frame also. Pretty easy to do. Don't use the passenger hand grab rails, or the crash guards. JMHO.

·
Registered
183 Posts
trailering 1800

Do yourself a big favor and buy a clamping front wheel chock. Then pop the side covers off and put your tie straps on the frame.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Jimmcdeb said:
Does anyone have good pictures on the proper tie down points on the 1800 while trailering and any good hints. Thanks
Sorry, I don't have pics. You only need two tie downs on the front end. Loop soft ties over the lower tripple tree on each side and hook ratchet tie downs through them. Compress the forks all the way. If there are obstacles next to the saddlebags, like trailer walls, you need to tie off the rear at the crash bars or trailer hitch. These tie downs only need to be snug as they are only to keep the rear from moving laterally. You can take off side covers and such, but it's a waste of time. YOMD

·
Registered
501 Posts
I would use a rail to keep it from moving sideways. I tried once without one, hit some rough roads
and the tire moved sideways causing the straps to loosen up....

Safest way is Wheel Chock and a rail for the rear wheel, 2 straps in back pulling forward and 2 in
front for saftey, no need to compress the forks that way.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Trailering

Pulled it around many times with no problems. The point I most depend on is the one in the middle to the frame. Be sure to secure the front wheel. The rest are just for looks. I'm sure the are other ways of doing it but I have had good luck using the points as shown. Be sure not to let the straps touch anything. Movment of the bike will either cut the strap or rub the paint.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just trailered my 2006 - GL-1800 from Mi to NC. and back. I used the Tulsa Enterprises advice and it worked fine. The only problem that I had was running over a board that flew up and it the Wing. Fortunately it was just a couple of small cosmetic scratches. Do check the tie downs frequently as they will try to loosen. I used a U Haul motorcycle trailer and it gave the Wing a fine ride at all speeds up to 78 MPH.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Wanderer said to compress the forks all the way. I was advised not to do this. I compress them a little and I basically tie it down like in the picture above (without the aft tie as illustrated) Instead of the one illustrated I run a tie aft from the saddlebag guards. This tie basically does nothing. I also use a wheel chock.

I have trailered this way from Vancouver Island to Yuma, Ariz and back with no problems.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
My wing bucks and snorts when it sees a trailer...... :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts