GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a great deal on a 6x12 single axle enclosed trailer that I can use to haul the trike in.

We are headed to Yellowstone in a couple of weeks and I am getting it set up. I have a few questions.

How far forward to should the trike be in the trailer ? Right now I have the front tire about 8 inches back from the front wall (this is not a V nose trailer) and the rear tires are just over the axle. I am using a Condor wheel chock for the front tire. I have no way to check the tongue weight.

When I took it out for a spin last night it seemed to bounce a little. Not so much the trailer but the trike inside . I did not have it tied down - just parked in the chock. Is this normal ?

Also, I have a couple of old 12v motorcycle batteries so I put them in a plastic ammo can so I can use them as a temporary power source so that I can have some 12v power for lights while loading.

To hook them up should I run the red (+) wire to both positive posts or should I link the batteries + to - and then the connection to the lights ?

·
Registered
205 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
FWIMBW: Here's a way to check the tongue weight up to about 900lbs using a 300lb bathroom scale and some other items you probably either have about the house ...... or can easily get.

On a level surface, place the coupler of the loaded trailer using the method diagrammed below.
Be sure to keep the space between the trailer's jack and the pipe on the brick at exactly 1 foot so the math will be correct.

HTH,

Gary

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Just a few suggestions. I too have a 6' x 12' single axle that is open. I secured the chock so that when the rear gate is up, I have about 6" of clearance from the rear of the trike to the gate. This puts the trike almost center over the axle, which is where you want the weight. I use soft ties and secure them around the triple tree, being careful not to catch any brake lines or such. I have a trailer hitch on the trike, so I use the chain catches on the hitch to secure tie downs to, securing them to the trailer slightly to the front, thus not allowing the trike to move backwards. I then also secure to the crash bars, which gives me a three point (6 total) tie down on each side, plus the wheel chock, where I also run a tie down around for giggles. As for tongue weight, if you have an old bathroom scare, you could place a board or such on the scale and slowly roll down the lift to get an idea. I would not want to exceed the recommended weight for your hitch.

I also leave mine in neutral so as to not put stress on the gears as the trike tries to move a bit while going down the road.

Just a few thoughts and hope that helps. Enjoy the trip out west and remember that gas stations sometimes close early. LOL Also, never follow a guy on a Black Trike with a wheelchair when out of gas.:eek:4::thumbup:

·
Registered
993 Posts
Loading lights?

Why not just grab some of the interior wiring that's already there for the exterior lighting to add a couple of "loading lights"? My enclosed trailer has 2 ceiling 12V lights that do a great job of letting me fall all over things inside the trailer at night...:eek:4:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Like Wheels said "center the weight over the axles".:thumbup:

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input everyone.

Wheels - I am going to do the same thing by using the hitch as the rear tie down point.

With the way the trike sits in the trailer now I have about two feet of room in the rear behind the trike so I am going to make a short wall out of plywood to separate the trike from any luggage or bags that we put back there.

I have a cheapo ceiling light that runs off the wiring harness but requires that trucks lights to be on to operate.

I decided to use a couple of old batteries stuffed into a plastic ammo can from Cabela's - they fit in there perfect ! Then I just bored a hole for a 12v female lighter type receptacle and wired them up.

I can grab it and go anytimee I might need the additional light from the two utility lights I installed in the trailer.

Outfitting the trailer is s fun project ! I did the floor chock and a shelf yesterday. I just wish it wasn't 100+ in there while doing it.

By the way - would it hurt anything to snip off about 8 inches of the antenna ? It hits the ceiling while backing out and try as I might my old fart brain doesn't remember to pull it down every time.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I wouldn't recommend using the hitch as a tie down for your trike.
You really want to tie it down by the other side of the suspension (unsprung), especially for a vehicle this heavy.
Use these instead for the rear wheels

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00480MYAC/ref=s9_simh_se_p263_d0_g263_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=auto-no-results-center-1&pf_rd_r=0RZGARMZFY8QKDB9D142&pf_rd_t=301&pf_rd_p=1263465782&pf_rd_i=wheelsling

These would eliminate the need (and tire/wheel scuffing) that a front tire chock can impact on your trike.

Here is a good E-Track tie down accessory kit

http://www.amazon.com/-TRACK-TIEDOWN--RINGS-ENCLOSED-TRAILER/dp/B0028OI53K/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1314381497&sr=1-5

If not already done ..... your E-Track system needs to have about every third or fourth hole either 'through bolted' into the main frame, or with large fender washers and nuts (not just screwed into the plywood floor) for the weight of a trike.

To make your partition wall, you can and use the bottom and the wall E tracks that you already have in your trailer, by using these and some 2X4's to frame the wall , by usig the 2X4's to make a 'TT' pattern patrition frame, and with the E-Track tips to secure it to the floor/wall E-Tracks.
This will make it easy to install at different places (for different hauling needs) and easy to remove as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Wood-Beam-End-Socket--Track/dp/B000UV7S8Q/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1314381497&sr=1-3

You can cut your radio antenna down as you describe, with little to no 'practical' effect on reception.

Gary

P.S. I'm off hiway 41 on your way to Yosemite (about 25 miles before the park entrance).
If you get up this way PM me and we can trike the park!!! :)

·
Registered
937 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<< P.S. I'm off hiway 41 on your way to Yosemite (about 25 miles before the park entrance). If you get up this way PM me and we can trike the park!!! :smile:>>

Is that hiway 41 or 14 ?

We are staying the week in Cody.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yup ..... it's Hiway 41, which goes from Morrow Bay on the coast, across the central valley, through Fresno ....... and on up into the Sierras ..... all the way to the south entrance of Yosemite.

I'm wondering if you might be thinking I was saying Yellowstone. (???)

We live just off 41, about 1 mile before the village of Coarsegold, and about 25 miles from the South entrance to Yosemite.

Also .... I 'just' received delivery of my 2005 GL1800/Hannigan trike (yesterday) which I recently bought from a forum member here (Wingchick in NJ) so ....... along with being a fellow Californian, I am also now a fellow 30'th anniversary GL1800 triker!! :)
See: http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290454

"And' ...... I just bought a Mirage 7X14 V-nose enclosed trailer (from a guy in Bakersfield) to tow the trike behind our Motorhome, and am installing the same 5" wide E-Track system to mount on the floor and walls (hence the current knowledge of links to the E-Track products I listed) like the system you have installed in the trailer you just bought!

The E-Track system is one of the best, most versatile tie-down systems there is, especially with so many options/accessories for it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts