GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6x12 flatbed utility trailer that I intend to use to trailer my Wing cross-country this summer. My question is where to best place the bike on the trailer for the safest ride. Some have told me to put the bike as far forward as possible....others have said to center the bikes weight over the axle. Looking for input from those with more experience than I have in this area. I will have the front wheel securely chocked regardless of where I wind up placing the bike. Thanks...ride safe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Alot of this depends on what you are towing with. And what the tow rating is for the vehicle. Also you are pulling with a 12 ft trailer, and the wing is about 10ft long, so your going to have to put it pretty far forward on the trailer just to get it to fit.

·
Registered
958 Posts
For best handling, the tongue weight of a loaded trailer should be 10-15% of total weight.

For example, if the total weight of your loaded trailer is 2,000 lbs, adjust the load to get somewhere in the range of 200-300 lbs. at the hitch.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
For best handling, the tongue weight of a loaded trailer should be 10-15% of total weight.

For example, if the total weight of your loaded trailer is 2,000 lbs, adjust the load to get somewhere in the range of 200-300 lbs. at the hitch.
+1 what doug said.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Here's a nice article.

http://www.allamericanprod.com/tiedown.html

I always put the chock at the front of the trailer so that the bike does not extend past the front plane from top to bottom.

Of course, I don't have a 12 foot trailer - mine is 8 1/2'.

Doug has the right idea here - you're going to need a couple hundred pounds tongue weight. Set it up and do a trial run. If the trailer wants to sway back and forth, then move the bike farther forward on the trailer to get a little more tongue weight.

·
Registered
747 Posts
There are some great answers above. My addition is that what you are asking about is no big deal. The Wing is easy to trailer. Simply center it and not have too much tongue weight and you are good to go. My only advice is that you can not use too many tie downs. The
wing's crash bars are not sturdy enough to support all the weight, sooo tie off the crash bars, rear seat bars, handle bars front forks and share the weight. This is not rocket science; the more you distribute the weight, the better things go. Soooo load up and go...Check the tie downs each gas stop just to be sure. Its all good.:coffee1:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts