GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a enclosed trailer to tow my Wing behind my Rv. I am trying to keep it a minimum. Will a 5x8 v nose work well? Also will I need brakes with it? Trailer is around #1500 plus bike. Thanks

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
That may be a little short...I would buy a 10' or 12' model so you can haul more stuff.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That may be a little short...I would buy a 10' or 12' model so you can haul more stuff.

That's the thing I don't want to haul anything more than the bike in there.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
You will be very tight in a nominal 5x8 v-nose. The wing is over eight feet long so a square will not work at all. The v-nose might be okay for length. Check actual dimensions as it will vary from different manufacturers. But even the width will be tight. You'll barely be able to get around it for tie down straps.

Reactions: judgedredd331

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Watch your height for the antennas if you are going to ride in.

Alternatively, you could do a Rampage type lift in the trailer. Then the antennas, tight sides and tie downs are really not an issue.

Brakes are kinda dependent on the tow vehicle. Could go either way.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I towed my GL to Arizona year before last in a 5 X 10 V-nose, with a tail ramp and a ride on/off chuck for the front wheel. It fit well and was no problem riding it into the trailer. Don't forget to fold the antenna (s) over before entering the trailer also, don't forget to duck your head before entering. I was very glad to have a reverse when unloading. Don't forget tie-downs are your friend, I had four in the front and two in the rear. My tow vehicle was a Cadillac SRX, the V6 had plenty of power up to about seventy, I just set the cruise on 65 and moved on down the road. The trailer did not have brakes and I saw no need for them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I tow mine in a 6x12. Yeah, a little smaller would be OK, but I wanted the trailer I got to be able to do other duties from time to time, like helping the college kids move. My Highlander with a V6 does fine. No trailer brakes.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
A Rampage on a trailer?
Why would you use a Rampage? That's for hoisting a bike into the bed of a pickup truck. A trailer is much lower to the ground and the bike can just be riden up a ramp quite easily.

Reactions: Andy Cote

·
Registered
490 Posts
On the brakes question it depends on which class of RV you have. A class B would be iffy but a Class C or A I wouldn’t worry about the brakes. If it will give you peace of mind by get the brakes. If you get one with electric brakes make sure you have them serviced regularly.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
A Rampage on a trailer?
Why would you use a Rampage? That's for hoisting a bike into the bed of a pickup truck. A trailer is much lower to the ground and the bike can just be riden up a ramp quite easily.
You are absolutely right. The Rampage is a better alternative to a ramp for loading into a pickup and most trailers are lower than a pickup so a ramp is still used. I was only offering it as a potential alternative to a very tight trailer fit. It would allow you to tie the front down outside then winch the bike in and tie the rear. Much cheaper to just buy a bigger trailer (which is also easier to back up) but if that's all you have, there is a way. I know I could never slither my belly around the pegs and bars to the front in a five foot wide box.

·
Registered
2018 DCT Tour
890 Posts
You said, "trying to keep it to a minimum." But then ya gotta be concerned about a "tight squeeze." As you know, this is not the only issue. Smaller trailers=less weight and some configurations have much less wind resistance. Whether fighting heavy side winds or hoping for better gas mileage, smaller and more aerodynamic trailers offer some advantages that offset the tighter clearances when loading.

I chose the tight squeeze. Getting the Honda tied down takes me about 2 minutes. The wheel chock, pre-adjusted ratchet straps, and Kuryakin (yoke mounted) tie down make quick work of the process. Sure, I gotta squat and twist a little, but I can deal with a moment of discomfort. The advantages of smaller size and less weight pay off nicely when towing: especially with gas prices going crazy.
Loading the goldwing

Iron horse motorcycle trailer

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
IMO I would need four wheels and E brakes. Size is also important, I would want one lower in height and more narrow. You're the only one to decide your needs and wants.

·
IronMan
19,357 Posts
GO BIGGEST YOU CAN AFFORD AND USE ! YOU'LL FIND YOU'LL HAUL OTHER STUFF BESIDES YOUR WING ! I HAVE 6 X 12 ENCLOSED WITH RAMP DOOR . PAID $1200 FOR IT WAS 1 YEAR OLD . I PUT HARBOR FRT WHEEL CHOCK IN IT FOR $40 . MOVE / HAUL / STORE ALL KINDS OF STUFF !

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
I agree with John above, plan on using the trailer for hauling trash, or furniture, or other stuff, that needs a trailer, like something you buy from Home Depot, the more you use it, the happier your decision to buy a trailer you will be..

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
That's the thing I don't want to haul anything more than the bike in there.
I once hauled my 1991 1500 wing and rented a 10' uhaul trailer. I couldn't shut the rear door as the trunk was in the way. Also your chock will take up some room. You must account for the chock and the bikes combined total length. I'm sure that's probably over 10'.
On a side note: I personally only use Condor Chocks.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have a 6x12x7' hight V nose enclosed trailer with a Condor wheel chock. I went for the extra Height because the ramp is longer and less Chance of bottoming out when loading. I tow it with a Ram 1500 4x4. I also use the trailer in my business.

·
Registered
Scarlett (2015 GL1800 HPNMF), KITT (2021 GL1800D)
294 Posts
Buy a 6x10 at a minimum as the Wing is 9ft tip to tail. A V-nose pulls so much better than a flat nose. I bought a 6x12 V-nose dual axle with brakes just for my piece of mind. I pull it with an F-150 or my 2019 Ranger. It's about 3000# loaded (trailer, bike and all the stuff we take on trips). Dual axles are a smoother pull IMO. Especially over not so good roads. Bumps and dips are not as harsh as a single axle. The downside is that I get 12mpg hauling it loaded. It's gonna make an expensive trip this summer to South Dakota and Yellowstone!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I went cheap with a 4' x 8' trailer from Tractor Supply. Added 3/4" floor, rings for tie downs, and ramp bolted to the front of trailer. Used it to tow 3 times to Florida and back with no problems.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
209 Posts
That depends on how they count the length. if the count the length from the tail to the point were the V starts, then it should be fine. If they are counting from the tail to the point of the V, then it will not work. I bought a 4x10 trailer uncovered trailer and it works great with over a foot and a half at the back edge. I used my brothers 4x8 trailer and it scraped the back of my bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts