GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting the ECM procedures done next week. Due to the inclement weather we have in NY, I will need to trailer or truck the bike. My prefered and purchasing dealer is 75 miles away. Anyone ever use the UHaul trucks for transport? I was wondering if the ramps that come with the trucks can hold the weight and if there were any tie down issues considering the tie downs are at waist level. Spoke with two UHaul places and they didn't know the ramp's capacity. I have all the soft ties and straps needed. Thanks.

G

·
RAMP

IVE LOADED SOME PRETTY HEAVY STUFF ON THOSE RAMPS I THINK THEY WILL HANDLE 850 LBS OK, THEY KIND OF OVER BUILD THOSE THINGS KNOWING PEOPLE WILL TEST THEM.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Uhaul also makes a Motorcycle trailer that I have been told works well. I thinks its $19.00 a day. They have a pic of it on their Website. Would be the perfect soultion to your problem.

·
Registered
229 Posts
The U-haul ramp will handle the weight with no problem. However, the ramps are long and not wide enough to get your feet down. I think it would take some major cajones to ride up the ramp and I don't believe you could get enough guys around it to push it up. I would definitely go for the trailer if you can get one that's high enough.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Assuming that the bike will not bottom out at the top of the ramp and that the ramp will support the load, then riding up it should not be difficult. If you can ride down a standard width sidewalk without going off the side then the ramp should be no problem. We used to load our dirt bikes into pickups by riding up a 2"x12"x8' ramp at 15 to 20 mph with no problem.
I would try looking for a warning decal on the back of the truck that would tell you what the maximum ramp capacity is. I know it will hold two adult males plus the weight of a piano which is in excess 1000 pounds.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I trailered a Wing in 2003 from KY to SD. Get some nylon Soft Ties with loops and no hooks about one foot in length each. It takes two for the front of the bike and two for the crash bars located around the engine casings. Should be availabe at most motorcycle stores.
Loop them around the triple tree just above the front forks. Attach your nylon trailer tie downs with hooks to the soft tie loops. Ratchet them down compressing the front forks but don't overdue it. Also secure your front tire to the trailer in order to keep the handlebars from turning during trailering.

Attach the other two soft ties to your engine crash bars. Use your trailer tie down straps and attache to the soft tie loops. Ratchet straps until they are secure but don't over due it. The soft ties will prevent scratches to your paint. Be sure and secure any excessive nylon strapping by wrapping it around something. Flapping nylon at 55 miles an hour can do lots of paint damage in a hurry. I used this method on my 3,000 mile trip and experienced no problems.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
if you cant get a uhaul bike trailer, i would get an open uhaul trailer. they are only about a foot off the ground. bach the wheels into a ditch or against the curb to make an almost level drive on. the sides of the open trailer are open so tie downs are easy.

loren

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Here's two pictures of mine strapped down for its trip home.

I used 6 straps total. None of them were the ratcheting type. I have two on the forks at the triple tree (using soft ties as extensions), running towards the front corners of the trailer. Remember to compress the forks... but not as much as mine are compressed in these pictures. I thought the compression in these pictures was too much... but was over-ruled two to one.

I have two on the handlebars. *Very* little pressure on these. Just enough to stabilize the handlebars and front wheel (I don't have a front wheel chock).

And two on the rear crash bars, running to the rear corners of the trailer. Moderate pressure on these.

This 5' x 10' trailer does a great job for carrying a motorcycle. With 13" wheels, it can go as fast as you want, and the full width loading ramp makes it easy to ride a motorcycle up and on the trailer. I had it custom built in 1987 for $550. It is constructed of all BOX steel (no angle), so it is a stronger than it looks.

Bike went just fine for an 8 hour trip like this.... However, it was really cranky when it was time to back it off the trailer... 4 below zero.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Wait for the streets to clear from snow and get on your snowmobile suit and full face helmet and ride that bad motha there. It's invigorating

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
I agree with Tony ride it. 75 miles isn't very far when the road is clear and the weather is decent. Save the $$ and forget the risks with trailering.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts