GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I know this is going to start a slew of comments about trailering the Wing and how it's a no-no, or that Wings are meant to be ridden, etc, etc. I'm looking for information to help me decide what size trailer to purchase. Due to work schedules, it's hard for my girlfriend and I to get more than about 7 days off together, and she doesn't want to spend 4 or 5 of those days riding to and from a destination. We would like to be able to trailer the Wing to our destination and be there in 1 to 2 days, 3 at the most. Then we can get the bike out and ride the area without worrying about whether we're to exhausted to ride and enjoy the scenery.

I'm looking at a 6x12 V-nose trailer with a single axle to load the bike in and tie it down. This will give us room for the bike and anything else that we wish to take with us or pick up along the way. We are both capable of driving the truck with the trailer in tow and won't be uncomfortable doing it. We can make a 1500 mile one way trip in less than two days if needed and be rested and ready to ride upon arrival. Weather is not a factor to either of us as we've ridden in the wind and rain and cold and hot (100+ degree days) previously.

We are just looking for a way to stretch our vacation time as much as possible and still enjoy riding while we still can. Any info and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
The wife and I trailer our bikes from time to time. I ride for fun and prefer to ride in the comfort of AC in a big truck going across country in heat, cold and storms If I’m making time on interstates. I prefer riding bikes on non interstates. I don’t give a hoot what folks think. It’s also hard to buy a toy hauler that will haul both my goldwing and my wife’s trike. Sometimes we will drive two trucks to get our RV and the bikes to a location.

Your trailer size seems sufficient.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Keith,
Well, We've done it multiple ways. Trailered it, toted it on the back of our motorhome, and, carried it in the back of our pickup and TOWED the truck. As for this crap about the Wing "should be ridden and not trailered" well, bla, bla, bla, bla!!!!!! We too have had the same thought process as you. Trailer or carry it to a good place to ride and, THEN START RIDING! We don't have to prove anything to anyone. Carrying it or trailering it works flawless for us. It's nice to be rested and relaxed when you get to a destination. Then, jump on the Wing for some nice two-wheeled stuff to points unknown.

Now, as for the trailer size. I took a lot of things into consideration when we were to trailer ours. Knowing how wide the Wing is, and what it takes to accurately and efficiently tie it down, TAKES A LOT OF SPACE. I wanted to be able to hook up tie downs and not be squished against walls and the bike at the same time. So, for us(me), I chose a 7' x 14' V-nosed trailer. Yes, it's a bit bigger to haul around but, when it came time to tie the Wing down, I was not jammed in between it and the front of back or sides of the Wing while I worked to tie it down. This is a choice thing.

Also, by having a little extra space 360 degrees around that Wing, we could put lots of other stuff that would be up against the Wing if it were a smaller dimension trailer. You have to pick what's gonna work for you. Good luck.
Scott

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
My son-in-law has a heavy duty utility trailer that is only 5' x 8'. I've trailed my '06 Wing on it. I remove the ramp tailgate from the trailer and set it aside. I mounted a Condor wheel chock to the front of the trailer. I use three heavy duty folding aluminum ramps to drive the motorcycle onto the trailer. Before riding the bike on or off I tie off the center ramp to the trailer axle with a ratchet strap to prevent the ramp from kicking out. The ramps get stored away in the bed of my pick-up truck. I also made a light bar to attach to the Rivco trailer hitch on the back of my motorcycle. The light bar gets plugged into the truck/trailer wiring harness. This puts the towing vehicle's brake and turn signal lights up high and very visible.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Zee meant he COULDN'T give a hoot and I agree... we have trailered bikes as well. For the reasons mentioned. Had both GW's in tandem in a 8x22 enclosed trailer I borrowed from a friend, in Condor chocks. It worked fine. The wing, pre 2018, is 4 feet wide at the mirrors and 9 feet long. A 6x12 enclosed trailer is ideal, one with a ramp... Use a good chock... like Condor. Set up some anchor points, you'll be good to go.

Be advised MOST people in this country trailer their bikes to a destination and ride it there... you are in good company.

:p (y)

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Before you buy a big enclosed trailer take a look at an Aluma MC10 and also an Aluma MC1F. Both are very low Aluminum, light weight 5 X10 trailers which work well for wings. I have owned both and currently own the MC1F which folds and can be stored vertically in my garage.

Not cheap but the right tool for the job and you will save a lot on fuel with a very light open trailer over a heavy enclosed box pushing a lot of air.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I now have a 6x12 single axle enclosed to transport my Wing. I use the Condor chock also. This setup worked great for traveling. I find the single axle easier to maneuver when empty than the dual axle. I also use the trailer for storing my bike. Previously had the 7x14 dual axle..perfect for 2 bikes...could not move manually.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Before you buy a big enclosed trailer take a look at an Aluma MC10 and also an Aluma MC1F. Both are very low Aluminum, light weight 5 X10 trailers which work well for wings. I have owned both and currently own the MC1F which folds and can be stored vertically in my garage.

Not cheap but the right tool for the job and you will save a lot on fuel with a very light open trailer over a heavy enclosed box pushing a lot of air.
Those are nice. Saw a new one on Ebay for $2200 just now. Like the OP I've gone back and forth on trailering versus riding the GW between far destinations, and the MC10 looks like a very manageable way to do the trailering option. I did price the V-front single axle box trailers in the last year and IIRC the steel framed type were about $3000 and the aluminum framed type were closer to $4,000. Add another $800 to either price by the time taxes and essential accessories get bolted on (spare, tie downs, etc.).

·
Registered
477 Posts
I would recommend you get a trailer; we have been in your position with working and losing exploring time due to travel to the location. Now both retired , now we have an enclosed trailer that we pull with our RV. Wish we had done it many years ago.

·
Registered
172 Posts
We have 2 enclosed trailers. One is a 7x14 Aluma all aluminum with the ramp rear door and we ordered it with extra height so we can haul our Trike or our Polaris General. The second is a 7x16 Haulmark all aluminum and ordered the same way with extra height and rear ramp door. Both have the V front and won't pull anything but a V as grew up on a farm/ranch and pulled trailers for almost 60 years and the V fronts pull much easier.
The Aluma is hands down a much better built trailer but the price reflects that too. Nothing wrong with the Haulmark but not built as good. The Aluma is also 3'' - 4'' wider on the inside too.
Both trailers have E track on the walls and on the floor as we use them for moving appliances and furniture when people need help moving too. So we needed versatility.
Next one will be 8-8.5 wide as getting out of the General once loaded is kind of tight as i am not getting any smaller in my old age.
For me trailers are like garages, figure what you need and then add a little more space.
Of course your towing vehicle must be able to handle the trailer you are buying.
Many good trailer makers out there you just have to shop around for the best price.
The best thing about an enclosed trailer is when staying somewhere overnight people can't see what is on or in your trailer. Kind like out of sight out of mind type of deal. Also what is inside stays clean in all kinds of weather.
Get a rear ramp door and a side walk in door too.
Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
7,157 Posts
When we only ran one bike, we happily towed it in a 6 x 12 single axle enclosed trailer.

Condor wheel chock.

E track embedded in floor is nice.
Surface mounted works fine for tying down the bike, can be a nuisance when the trailer is used for hauling other stuff. And it will likely get used for other stuff.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Aluma MC-10 is the way to go. With my GW on it it's light enough to be pulled by my 4 Cyl Subaru. This rig has gone from Az to NY. If I pull it behind my Dodge I have to look to make sure it's still there...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ohh, geez, I gotta ride the wing everywhere I go so I can keep everyone impressed with my profile, or riding ability, or somethin for the brief 3 seconds of my life that they observe me?
On second thought, I'll trailer my bike if I feel like it.
I bought this aluminum open trailer after seeing how fast regular steel trailers start growing rust at the weld and bolt points. I bolted down the Harbour Freight wheel chock to hold the front wheel in place.
The trailer spends most of its life at my daughters house so she can use it in her carpentry work.

·
Registered
283 Posts
There is no shame in trailering your bike!!!! At our age we have already proved enough.
If hauling the bike is the main purpose of a trailer, the 6 x 12 is plenty big enough for me. With the side door there is plenty room to do the tie-downs and still room for riding gear and a spare tire for the trailer. We use hangup bags on the wall for clothes as well. The V nose is where the spare tire lays in the floor in front of the bike.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
got a 7 x 12 open trailer (single axle) that has carried both the Wing and the Rune at the same time (have it set up with 1 or 2 chocks); as well as the Wing and the VTX1800 at the same time. While I always prefer riding, sometimes my riding partner on that trip isn't a "go long" rider.
I also have transported the Wing (or others) in my enclosed 6 x 10 single axle trailer.
on that note ... back in '03 on my first long trip on my first GL1800, I was in Sevierville, TN in the spring with a group from the Saginaw area in MI. There was a Wing rally in Sevierville, and a Hog rally across the mountain in Cherokee, NC at that same time. I made the observation, when both rallies broke up, that I now understood the difference between Honda and Harley touring bikes "oh, Wings pull trailers while Hogs ride on trailers". (Many/most Wings were 2 up pulling a trailer, while most traffic coming out of NC were vehicles pulling trailers with Harleys on them). Struck me as funny at the time.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
Trailers for pulling bikes are like pickups for hauling other stuff, once you get one you'll have more "friends" than you want. :D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Well I trailer my bikes back and forth IL to FL. For the winter. I started with a 6x12 enclosed. It did the job but it’s a pain strapping the bike down with only having a foot and half between the bike and wall. It can be done. I bought a slingshot so I went a 8.5 wide trailer and now tow both in the trailer but omg it’s so nice to have the room to bend down and put the straps on the side frame. Do not use the engine guards for tie down locations. They can break. So if you can swing it go as wide as you can. You won’t regret it. Get the right straps and tie down anchor points and it will make it easy Peasy to haul your bike and not be wore out loading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
11 Posts
All good info.
We have a v-nose for our dual Sport bikes, but I’ve never put the Gold wings in yet(we have two).
The previous owner had 2 full dress harleys in it so I know the wings will fit.
Where do you attach straps?
Have you mounted tie down spots to the bikes?
I’ve also heard from others not to use the engine guards.

I do have chocks for the front wheels.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate all the support for this project. I didn't realize there were that many people that trailered their bikes around this country. I think I've settled on a 6x12 V-nose trailer and if I can find one locally, I'll see about picking it up. Otherwise, I'll order a new one and get it outfitted the way I want in the color I want. Thanks for all the input guys!!!

Safe riding to all!!!

Keith

1 - 20 of 41 Posts