GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crazy, I know. Taking along a sensitive instrument like a 102mm retractor in a trailer along with a GOTO mount...but how crazy? As crazy as the thought of someone pulling a trailer on a motorcycle by someone who has never heard of that?
Or crazy, like going white water rafting with 2 broken arms and 2 broken legs..?

I would love to take my Astrophotography gear along with my on my trips upstate and out west, where the BEST skies are but not at the expense of my gear. I have taken my cameras but they stay on the side cases and the bike doesn't shake nearly as much as the trailer.

Is anyone into Astronomy and taken their "stuff" on a trip in the wagon?

·
Administrator
3,578 Posts
Talk to Jerry Mohme. That's the exact reason he bought a Tailwind. Jerry has (or possibly had, if it burned in the fire that destroyed his home, Goldwing, and Tailwind) a very expensive telescope and photographic exquiment. He had to have a trailer in which he could haul his equipment behind his Goldwing. The Tailwind was the only one that met his needs.

Search for his posts on this board.

Glen

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Like Glen said, I chose the Tailwind primarily to carry my 10 inch Meade Schmidt Cassegrain telescope without worrying about knocking the mirrors out of alignment. My trailer always has some type of sensitive optical or electrical equipment and was in tow behind my Wing for over 113,000 miles before it burned in the fires last week. I have never had a single issue with any of my equipment.
Refractors are quite a bit more forgiving than SC's, but I would still be cautious and pack it in some good foam to dampen any road shock or vibrations.

Good luck and clear skys to you.

Jerry

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Talk to Jerry Mohme. That's the exact reason he bought a Tailwind. Jerry has (or possibly had, if it burned in the fire that destroyed his home, Goldwing, and Tailwind) a very expensive telescope and photographic exquiment. He had to have a trailer in which he could haul his equipment behind his Goldwing. The Tailwind was the only one that met his needs.

Search for his posts on this board.

Glen
Hey Glen,

The fire did, unfortunately, take my scope too.
The picture below is what remains of the Schmidt corrector plate from the front of the optical tube. The mess in the center is what remains of the secondary mirror

This bites!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts