GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. We are considering a trip this fall that would be 9 days and would go from Utah to Canada and back. We have been looking into trailers. I talked with Tom about a Tailwind. He is a great guy, has an enormous wealth of knowledge, and there is no doubt that would be my first choice if money were no object. It sounds as if they are an engineering marvel. Bushtec and the Escapade (from California Sidecars) seemed like nice trailers too, but were both in the $5,000 range nicely equipped and with matching paint. Just recently, I have been considering an Aluma MCT which would be $1500 brand new. I have been talking with Thomas Bus Sales about the Aluma and they seem like awesome people to work with. Obviously, it is not in the same league as the others mentioned above. But considering that we would likely only use the trailer a couple of times per year, it is hard for me to justify spending all the extra money on the more expensive ones. Just wondering if anyone has any feedback or suggestions. Is the lack of shock absorbers a problem? Seems like any of the four mentioned hold their value pretty well. Anything else I should be considering?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
The Aluma is a great choice for what your intended level of usage would be. It is a very fine trailer and if you decide that the Aluma is the trailer for you then you will not find a better person to deal with than Leonard at Thomas Bus Sales. I will tell you that "loren" has one on the "for sale" board that is very nice and very reasonably priced. It is carpeted inside and only has about 450 miles on it.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
If you are only going to use a trailer two or three times a year, why not consider a Piggy Backer with 8 inch wheels :shrug: Ugly little buggers, but effective, and inexpensive to boot. I have had mind going on 5 years, and still have the original tires on it and going strong, with several states under it, and some Heavy loading (total weight 540 + on an occasion ) I unlike many really don't care if the trailer matches the bike, basic black is fine with me, and it does what it is supposed to ~ carry stuff from point A to B. The paint doesn't make it ride any better, or pull any easer. I use mine just 5 or 6 times a year now that I have a Roll-A-Home camper, and still think it is ugly to the point it is cute.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We have a used Black Aluma MCT for $1,150.00

Leonard
Thomas Bus Sales, Inc.
Des Moines, Iowa
800-362-2092

·
Registered
342 Posts
Since you have the time... you can put together a harbor freight trailer, and install a cartop carrier. Paint it to match the bike, and have a neat little unit. Brand new trailer and cartop can be had for less than $300. Paint cost isnt normally too bad for a few cans of spray paint.
All it really costs you is the time to do the job yourself... you can carpet the inside, or add a light if you want.... Really a nifty project to consider.

jmho....

Bob

·
Registered
618 Posts
Ok guys, what's the odds that the next question he asks is along the lines of "what is the best trailer hitch?" Anyone for a can of worms??? :22yikes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys, what's the odds that the next question he asks is along the lines of "what is the best trailer hitch?" Anyone for a can of worms??? :22yikes:
Sorry to disappoint you, but I already decided on the Rivco. :roll:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Great hitch choice SKY; I love my RIVCO hitch, not to mention my Rivco floor boards(with toe heel),highway boards, and passenger board risers.

My 20+ year old Bushtec trailer (bought for a song) was also a good choice for me.

Trailer is undergoing a "Ground Up" refurb/customization right now; can't wait for it to get finished. (just to plug my own thread; check out "What is happening to my trailer") in the Trailer Forum.

To date; cost of trailer and materials for referb/customization is coming in at less than 3 grand (a few more material costs are coming) . No labor is involved; as a friend of mine is doing the project.

Boss (read wife) say's if cost's get much higher, I will have to live in the trailer. I made it clear to her that the trailer will be expondentially more valuable than the money spent; she still say's I will have to live in it.

I'm thinking living on the WING; with trailer behind it, may not be such a bad life choice. :joke: Hell; I would even call her once a month; just to tell her what I have seen, and experenced.;)

Too bad I have to work for a living just to afford gas/manitance and insurance for the Wing; otherwise "Living In The Trailer" would not be such a bad choice.

Some day I want to meet the low life who invented working for a living! I just want to know what he had in mind; somehow, I'll bet he invented working for a living on Monday, and invented the CEO on Tuesday. :lol:

I'm sure you will enjoy any decision you make.

Please Ride Safe:
Rick

·
Registered
501 Posts
Just did it

Sky,
I just wen through the same gyrations. Wanted a Tailwind, but never did find one used for sale. Missed a couple Hannigans, finally bought an '03 Escapade that had only been towed four times for $3K. I had owned an Escapade before and found them to be bullet proof. Will take it on it's first trip in September.
Good luck, so much to factor into your decision. We really wanted reliability, space, and a certain design. The Used Escapade Elite fit the bill. We bought it off Craig's List.:confused:

·
Registered
618 Posts
Sky,
Great choice on the hitch! Ok, everyone. Nap time.

·
Administrator
3,570 Posts
SkyUtah

I'm glad you checked out the Tailwind. Actually, I'm not surprised, for it seems that you and MrsSkyUtah did a LOT of research and soul-searching when you decided to get back into motorcycling.

I did the same thing both when I first bought a motorcycle, then when I decided I needed a trailer. Like you, I bought whatever package I had to buy to get ABS, and I too bought the best color Gold Wing.;) I knew I had just one chance to get it right the first time.

A couple of trips showed that we needed a trailer, so I started studying. It was tempting to go the budget route, but every time I try to economize on a purchase I wind up relearning that I always get what I pay for. More research led me to suspension issues, and that's when it got interesting. I'd seen many trailers with cheap suspensions bouncing down the road. I wanted better.

I eventually found the Tailwind and Tom Finch. I went to the factory and saw the construction materials and methods. The engineering design is a technical marvel. I truly feel it is less stressful on a Gold Wing's aluminum frame. The Tailwind is purpose-built and designed from the ground up, while other trailers seem to be a collection of parts assembled to a price point. After much agonizing, I knew that if I bought any other trailer I'd always wish I'd bought a Tailwind. Besides, once you get into the upper echelon of trailers you'll see that the Tailwind is not much more money than a fully loaded competitor, yet has features unavailable anywhere else for any price.

I now find that I use my Tailwind a lot more than I originally intended. I hardly know it's behind me, it doesn't affect my Wing's power or economy, and it's as handy as a pocket on a shirt.

Anyway, I bought the Tailwind and I appreciate its' features every time I use it. It's a perfect compliment to my Gold Wing. Good luck in your quest for a trailer. I'll be glad to talk Gold Wings and Tailwinds all day long if I can help.

Good luck,
Glen

·
Registered
645 Posts
SkyUtah check your pm's look in upper right hand under your name

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
+1 on the Pig. I put 3000 miles on mine this week.

If you are only going to use a trailer two or three times a year, why not consider a Piggy Backer with 8 inch wheels :shrug: Ugly little buggers, but effective, and inexpensive to boot. I have had mind going on 5 years, and still have the original tires on it and going strong, with several states under it, and some Heavy loading (total weight 540 + on an occasion ) I unlike many really don't care if the trailer matches the bike, basic black is fine with me, and it does what it is supposed to ~ carry stuff from point A to B. The paint doesn't make it ride any better, or pull any easer. I use mine just 5 or 6 times a year now that I have a Roll-A-Home camper, and still think it is ugly to the point it is cute.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts