GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Group, I've been thinking about getting a trailer for the bike. Since we have a dog, I've been thinking about a Wags trailer. Anyone had any experience with one? Good, Bad or indifferent. Thanks for the opinions.
Mud

·
Registered
166 Posts
How big is your dog??

We carry our 10 pound dog with us but she fits in a carrier on the trunk rack.

My only concern with a dog in the trailer would be exhaust but turndowns may take away the concern.

Sorry but I know nothing about the wags trailers so good luck in your search.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have often wondered about putting a dog in a trailer BEHIND a bike !! Besides the fact that the dog has little if no protection in case of an accident I would worry about the fumes from the exhaust. I'm not saying it's bad to have a dog in a trailer---many people do it. It's just not something I would do !!!! As for cargo trailers I had a Cyclemate 2000LTD that I pulled from from coast to coast behind my RSV. It's not a fancy trailer and likewise doesn't have a fancy price but it is well built and very easy to pull. I never had a minutes' problem with my trailer in the 5 years I pulled it. But if you get the 2000 model, be careful---it has so much room that makes it very easy to overload !!

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have a pop-up trailer and we took our Bijon Frise to Arizona and back last May. We put her in a kennel and strapped it down to the ice chest on the tongue, So long as we were moving, I wasn't too concerned about the exhaust. If I felt like we were going to stop very long at a traffic light, I would turn the engine off. She had a great time and it was nice to be able to bring her along.

·
Banned
939 Posts
Here's what I am gonna start pulling my already brain damaged hound around and camping gear in but if you are worried about exhaust gas get a kennel cover with no rear window and you can have it with the back toward the bike.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288725

I did a shake down with a 12v carbon monoxide detector in mine and it did not go off for whatever that's worth with the front of an opened kennel facing the pipes. I have turn downs but not sure how significant that is. Cover is a good idea regardless as it cuts the whistling noise and that drove my dog nuts. But he is good to go now and excited to load up.

I am going to be off on a good long journey with the rig in a few days here and intend to post an update if the dog survives..lol I am going to leave Wednesday and will be about a three week roundabout.

There was a guy that posted on that thread of mine or on hijack on the DJ fires trailer redesign thread both within the last month that was gonna build a very deluxe one from a harbor freight set up for his hound.

Also MarkEkburg our local carseat for twoup expert has a post up with a photo of one he made that looks to use a snowmachine wind screen.

But if you got a fat budget and or don't want to do your own thing many of the major MT trailer manufactures other than just Waggs make a pet model and the all look pretty nice to me.

If you find that gentleman who was doing the custom one send him a pm it looked like he was going to do a first rate job.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dog is a boxer. About 65 lbs. I have looked at the Wags trailer on the web site and thinking about getting one. Just looking for someone who has one and what they think of it.

·
Registered
610 Posts
there's a used 2008 wags cargo trailer for sale in this months' wingworld.

It's in Missouri, says like new condition, $ 2,250. the phone # is (417) 239-4109

1 - 11 of 11 Posts