GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Nice video. I didn’t chase it today but my riding buddies did. You were following all of them. The guy right in front was on the indian Roadmaster and then near the end you pass the 2 Bigdog choppers and a white Victory Magnum..

Too funny.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I thought long and hard about sharing this - her top makes it too easy NOT to share.

The lines lead to a turn about 1/2 mile from where this locomotive is at. The loco is moving at about 40 or 45MPH as I took this picture; the track they are standing next to is a live track.

If something was coming the other direction, they would have never heard it!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Blog updated with photos from today's stop in Tucson.

Traffic was a bit crazy getting into the rail yard, but having lived in that region to town eons ago, I knew the back ways into the area, so the wait wasn't bad at all.

This thing is *never* on-time, as revenue service will always take precedence over a special train like this is. That's reality. Example: it departed Casa Grand 30 minutes late yesterday; the same may happen tomorrow - you just never know.

Suggest you bookmark this: https://www.up.com/forms/steam-trace.cfm

I was fortunate that I have a scanner radio app on my phone. Yes, it might be a minute behind when it was actually said, but it's additional information on where it is, whether it's moving or not and what other trains are doing.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I aborted my attempt to go visit the train today, Crazy traffic coming in from all directions. They didn’t allow walk ins because of several close calls they had with pedestrians and cars at the gate. I’m not that much of a train guy.

A friend that was inside said it took her about 45 minutes to get in (she was riding one of those Bigdog choppers) but there was plenty of parking once in. She said lousy opportunities for photos because of all the people.

I’ll be out in vail in the morning. That buddy of mine on that indian is going to put his drone in the air. He was going to do it yesterday but forgot the darn thing.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
45 minutes? I think I got in a half that time - again, I know the area; most didn't & paid attention to Google or Waze.

Entrance was at the green circle with one-way traffic flow; parking is in blue. Train was in the black circle, and it was a convoluted way to exit at the red circle.

There was no real places to park along Fairland, so until you got in, there was no way to understand why they prohibited pedestrian access.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I thought long and hard about sharing this - her top makes it too easy NOT to share.

The lines lead to a turn about 1/2 mile from where this locomotive is at. The loco is moving at about 40 or 45MPH as I took this picture; the track they are standing next to is a live track.

If something was coming the other direction, they would have never heard it!

Hard to think they don't trust their camera to take a good shot 10 feet back, but you read about somebody getting off a train and crossing the next track and whacked.

Reactions: CAWing
21 - 28 of 28 Posts