GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my '01 Wing as been acting a little strange when I downshift from 4th to 3rd.
Normally, there would be a distinct feel (snick!) when it goes into 3rd. Now about half the time the "snick" is much lighter and it does not go into 3rd but stays in 4th. If I put my foot firmly on the shifter then it goes into 3rd.
When this first started happening it was a bit of a shock if I was relying on the downshift to slow me for a corner, and when 3rd wasn't there to slow me, oh oh!!
So for those guys out there that have experienced this or have the mechanical expertise, what's going on? Is this going to eat into my retirement fund?:eek:

·
Registered
576 Posts
Heel/toe shifter

Do you have a heel/toe shifter? Does it have floorboards? If so: The heel pedal hits the board before the tranny gets fully in 3rd gear. It's the root cause of lots of tranny failures.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Do you have a heel/toe shifter? Does it have floorboards? If so: The heel pedal hits the board before the tranny gets fully in 3rd gear. It's the root cause of lots of tranny failures.
You have evidence to prove this I assume?

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

He is downshifting and the heel pedal does not come into play.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Recently my '01 Wing as been acting a little strange when I downshift from 4th to 3rd.
Normally, there would be a distinct feel (snick!) when it goes into 3rd. Now about half the time the "snick" is much lighter and it does not go into 3rd but stays in 4th. If I put my foot firmly on the shifter then it goes into 3rd.
When this first started happening it was a bit of a shock if I was relying on the downshift to slow me for a corner, and when 3rd wasn't there to slow me, oh oh!!
So for those guys out there that have experienced this or have the mechanical expertise, what's going on? Is this going to eat into my retirement fund?:eek:

Post #1 from this link may or may not apply to your problem.

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296689

:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
You have evidence to prove this I assume?
He has no evidence. The cause has been discussed ad-nauseum ...

In http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232741 we have determined that the folks with heel-toe shifters actually have a lower occurrence of transmission failures; but alas with the low sample size, this only really proves NO correlation.

·
Registered
275 Posts

Open mouth, insert foot, twist not so gently, wash down with your favorite adult beverage!!!

your sources please?

My 04 had a trans rebuilt due to a H/T shifter, my 08 never had a H/T shifter and was showing signs on trans problems not going into gear and also jumping out of 5th gear

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Open mouth, insert foot, twist not so gently, wash down with your favorite adult beverage!!!

your sources please?

My 04 had a trans rebuilt due to a H/T shifter, my 08 never had a H/T shifter and was showing signs on trans problems not going into gear and also jumping out of 5th gear
I did not have a heel toe shifter and my bikes tranny gave up. Jumping out of 5th gear was my first indication.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, I do not have a heel/toe shifter.

The tranny has never jumped out of gear. And this problem only occurs, so far, when I downshift from 4th to 3rd. If I apply firm pressure to the shifter, then it goes in fine.
But, I do seem to notice a very slight "bump" downshifting into other gears to. It seems to be felt inbetween the gears. It could just be my imagination/paranoia now that this issue has surfaced.
Heck, now I'm feeling and listening for absolutly anything that doesn't seem normal!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
No, I do not have a heel/toe shifter.

The tranny has never jumped out of gear. And this problem only occurs, so far, when I downshift from 4th to 3rd. If I apply firm pressure to the shifter, then it goes in fine.
But, I do seem to notice a very slight "bump" downshifting into other gears to. It seems to be felt inbetween the gears. It could just be my imagination/paranoia now that this issue has surfaced.
Heck, now I'm feeling and listening for absolutly anything that doesn't seem normal!
Sort of takes the fun out of riding. The good news is that most of us who had transmission failures did not experience any issues while down shifting.

·
Vendor
17,818 Posts

your sources please?

Your 04 sounds like early finger pointing by the manufacture. Back in 04, 05 many transmission problems were blamed on heel/toe shifters and them being triked. Eventually, many surfaced that never had heal/toes and std GW's.

For some, sometimes the heal/toe will throw off shift timing destroying the gears over time ... they pre-load.

·
Vendor
17,818 Posts
The 4>3, and 3>2 shifts are unique in our GL1800s. If you want, you can PM me for more information. If I post educational information here, it may be deleated. You should find someone in you area that can fix it, not ride it till it is fixed, and have it towed there. A shock barely discribes the scare of riding a machine when it is not performing like it is suppose too. Yes, it is time to transfer funds.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I am a whiner

Sort of takes the fun out of riding.
:agree: I used to do 12K year, I now do nearly 4K year
The good news is that most of us who had transmission failures did not experience any issues while down shifting.
I'll mark myself as 'some of us'. No H/T shifter, On my '04 3rd gear started skipping within 12K; shifting up or down into it. I lurned quickly to double-shift through 3rd and never really missed it, but would be reminded from time to time if I accidently used it. At 56K, after I nearly lost control at an exit ramp when I accidently shifted into third, I finally bit the bullet and had the Warranty Rebuild. Honda Dealer did an initial $800 ancillary damage to the bike, and I am still dealing with stuff nearly 2 years later that they broke or improperly reassembled.

·
Vendor
17,818 Posts
:agree: I used to do 12K year, I now do nearly 4K yearI'll mark myself as 'some of us'. No H/T shifter, On my '04 3rd gear started skipping within 12K; shifting up or down into it. I lurned quickly to double-shift through 3rd and never really missed it, but would be reminded from time to time if I accidently used it. At 56K, after I nearly lost control at an exit ramp when I accidently shifted into third, I finally bit the bullet and had the Warranty Rebuild. Honda Dealer did an initial $800 ancillary damage to the bike, and I am still dealing with stuff nearly 2 years later that they broke or improperly reassembled.
For anyone needing information on Ghost Shifting, Google "GL1800 Ghost Shifting." There is more information available on this topic elsewhere.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Before selling your gold and blue chips; consider taking your clue as to why you may have rounded off your dogs 'n slots a bit. Always shift with a firm and deliberate effort. Like you said yourself, it works correctly when you do so. Gred correctly point-out that when things unexpectidly go wrong, it can lead to an unnerving and dangerous episode; so always expect the unexpected; be it a mis-shift, a catrostrophic failure, a blow-out of a tire, or thrown rod, etc. A motorcycle is nothing to operate with your head in the clouds. Back in 2003 and 2004 I expereinced a couple of bum shifts that would either slam into an adjacent gear or high rev into a false neutral. They were totally my fault for candy arsing the shift while may mind was wandering. It was frightful and I worried that I had damaged the tranny for a while; but simply using a more deliberate shift (not abusing the shifter) and being aware of potential kick-out has elimnated the symptom of my own error. No preloading or riding the shifter, just positive throws all the way through the motion. I do use one of Waldo's excellent heel/toe shifters, but that makes no difference in the technique. My bike shifts as smooth as buttered glass now.

prs

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
:agree: I used to do 12K year, I now do nearly 4K yearI'll mark myself as 'some of us'. No H/T shifter, On my '04 3rd gear started skipping within 12K; shifting up or down into it. I lurned quickly to double-shift through 3rd and never really missed it, but would be reminded from time to time if I accidently used it. At 56K, after I nearly lost control at an exit ramp when I accidently shifted into third, I finally bit the bullet and had the Warranty Rebuild. Honda Dealer did an initial $800 ancillary damage to the bike, and I am still dealing with stuff nearly 2 years later that they broke or improperly reassembled.
I was in a right hand up hill sweeper when my transmission died. Talk about a butt pucker!!! At 45mph the rear tire locked up and the bike lost speed without notice. I almost low sided her, I did mange to stopm the bike into third gear and get her back. That is something you just don't forget, now it is so nice to just cruise and not worry about the bike or shifting.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts