GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current GPS is a 2720 Streetpilot that requires me to connect from my
computer directly to the unit via a USB cable to transfer routes that I've
created with Mapsource on the computer.

How does one transfer a route into a Zumo?
I am contemplating a bike trip through the European Alps next summer,
whereby the rental bike will have a Zumo 660 ( I presume pre-loaded with a Europe map) at my disposal. I am told I can transfer my planned route onto an SD card, then pop it into the bike's Zumo. But how do I do the actual transfer from my computer onto the card?

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
I just got a 665 and i'm pretty sure the routes have to be stored on the device, not the card. I think all you can use the card for is .jpg, .mp3,
waypoints, and poi files.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Create and save a GPX file on your computer and then use Microsoft Windows Explorer to drag and drop the file to your SD card. You can later drag and drop it from the SD card to the Zumo's GPX folder in it's root directory.

:thumbup:
So you're telling me I have to have the actual Zumo unit to do that?
Without one, which I don't have, I pretty much SOL ?

·
Registered
627 Posts
If you use the HD ride planner and connect the Zumo to a puter it will transfer the route to to the Zumo

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you use the HD ride planner and connect the Zumo to a puter it will transfer the route to to the Zumo
But that's just it. I don't have a Zumo, yet I wanna transfer my route into a Zumo on the bike I am renting . . .

·
Registered
250 Posts
So you're telling me I have to have the actual Zumo unit to do that?
Without one, which I don't have, I pretty much SOL ?
Nope, he didn't say anything remotely like that.

If you are going to do all your planning here, make some GPX files and put them on an SD card and take that with you.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PM me if you need more help.

Thanx.

What I wasn't sure about is how I can actually make the transfer onto and SD card on my desktop. I'm learning now that I need some kind of card reader plugged into the computer, not unlike a USB stick, the place the sd card into the reader, then transfer my route onto the card. Then stick the card into the Zumo of my rental bike.
Do I have it right ?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Gord,

I have a Zumo 550, but I believe the Zumo 660 works the same way.

If I use Mapsource to transfer routes to an SD card, mapsource will create a folder named Garmin with a sub-folder named GPX. The routes will be
in a userdata.gpx file.

When you plug the SD card into the Zumo and start it up, it will tell you that new data was found and ask if you want to import it.

If your going to drag & drop or copy & paste gpx routes onto an SD card, you must create a Garmin folder with a GPX sub-folder and place the routes in the GPX sub-folder.

If you just copy gpx files directly onto the SD card without being in the proper folders, the Zumo will never see the new routes.

·
Registered
850 Posts
My 660 came with mapsource which is what I use for my routes. I like it because it is very easy to use modify, add, change routes.

dd

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gord,

I have a Zumo 550, but I believe the Zumo 660 works the same way.

If I use Mapsource to transfer routes to an SD card, mapsource will create a folder named Garmin with a sub-folder named GPX. The routes will be
in a userdata.gpx file.

When you plug the SD card into the Zumo and start it up, it will tell you that new data was found and ask if you want to import it.

If your going to drag & drop or copy & paste gpx routes onto an SD card, you must create a Garmin folder with a GPX sub-folder and place the routes in the GPX sub-folder.

If you just copy gpx files directly onto the SD card without being in the proper folders, the Zumo will never see the new routes.
Thanx for that, indeed !

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Much thanx to everyone for the info.
All this technology baffles me so I appreciate the help

No wonder I luv this place !
Cheers!
:yes1:

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Gord,
One more thing.
The Zumo 550 uses a standard SD card and the Zumo 660/665 uses a Micro SD card.
Make sure you get the Micro SD and if necessary a card holder to make it like a standard SD. Most readers will read both nowadays.
Good luck on your trip!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gord,
One more thing.
The Zumo 550 uses a standard SD card and the Zumo 660/665 uses a Micro SD card.
Make sure you get the Micro SD and if necessary a card holder to make it like a standard SD. Most readers will read both nowadays.
Good luck on your trip!
Thanx!

What I have in mind is a trip through the European Alps next year.
I was considering Edelweiss Bike Tours but I am loath to be tied to a group for several days. And it ain't cheap, either.

Methinks I'd rather set out on my own, so I'm looking to rent a Beemer from -

http://www.motorradvermietung.de/en/

thus my need for some navigation. My journey would take me from Frankfurt, Germany, through Austria, Italy and Switzerland. A great resource if you're so inclined is John Hermann's 'Motorcycle Journeys Through the Alps and Beyond.'

Cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts