GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI to all ... if you buy one of my transmissions and have your local shop install it, do not send your core back looking like this. It will have no value and you will get no core deposit money back. Basically one like this has no parts worth reusing.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I'm curious, not being knowledgeable about transmissions.

Looks like surface rust, is it deep enough to have caused pitting?

What would that pitting cause, in turn? Noise? Accelerated wear?

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Surface rust will wipe off with a rage. This is heavier than that. Yes, the pitting under the rust will work like sandpaper on a mating machined surface accreting wear. Here at JustWings those are transmission parts I won't re-use. Once completed my transmission are as perfect as humanly possible. As gears like that wear, they can become noisy. My tranny guy and I have established an expectation for my (or his) transmissions to last at 100,000+ miles. In the m/c world that is an unheard of expectation. Such an expectation probably does not exist in the car world either.

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Well - both I guess. I am assuming the rust had to be due to improper storage after removal. How about the physical damage?

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well - both I guess. I am assuming the rust had to be due to improper storage after removal. How about the physical damage?
As for the rust, and only because I've worked in many shop, to me it looks like they were on the floor and pushed into the corner. And that shop hoses down the floor; thus, water getting sprayed on them.

As for prior gear damage, I usually get a report back after they get magna-fluxed so that all the stuff missed with the naked eye gets caught too. However, using my naked eye ...
  • 2/3 slider rounded dogs
  • 5th gear in rounded dogs
  • center fork toast
  • link 'a' worn
  • I'm sure others gears have cancer, but cannot tell with all the rust
  • one of the bearings on the main shaft will not turn

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
As for the rust, and only because I've worked in many shop, to me it looks like they were on the floor and pushed into the corner. And that shop hoses down the floor; thus, water getting sprayed on them.

As for prior gear damage, I usually get a report back after they get magna-fluxed so that all the stuff missed with the naked eye gets caught too. However, using my naked eye ...
  • 2/3 slider rounded dogs
  • 5th gear in rounded dogs
  • center fork toast
  • link 'a' worn
  • I'm sure others gears have cancer, but cannot tell with all the rust
  • one of the bearings on the main shaft will not turn
Was there any "excuse" as to why all that went wrong??

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As for the rust, the customer requested I drop ship the undercut transmission to the Honda dealer who was waiting to reinstall the "new" trans in his Wing. The customer also relied on the tech to inventory, package, and ship the core back.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
In some states they say when you ASSUME, you might end up with a tranny...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts