GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I switched from a ‘09 VTX to a ‘10 Wing and, at this point, I have not been sorry yet. However, as I ride my Wing it seems to that it could benefit by having a 6th gear. To me, it seems that 5th gear has such a wide band and does better at lower speeds than higher. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
993 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
Since I switched from a ‘09 VTX to a ‘10 Wing and, at this point, I have not been sorry yet. However, as I ride my Wing it seems to that it could benefit by having a 6th gear. To me, it seems that 5th gear has such a wide band and does better at lower speeds than higher. Any thoughts on this?
I know what you are saying, since I rode a 2005 Wing a few months ago and felt the same way. However, I just bought a 2010, 4000 miles so far, and don't feel that way now. Hard to figure. I really love this Wing. Coming off an ST1300A, the only thing I miss is the cornering performace of the ST.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Some on this board would like to see a sixth gear on the wing and some like it the way it is. Personally I would like to drop the rpms down a little on the interstate. My 2008 is pulling 3000 rpms at 68 mph (gps speed). Just seems like the power plant has plenty of torque for a sixth gear afording a lower more comfortable rpm for the slab.

If you do a search you will find this subject has been discussed before. Perhaps those members who chimed in before will be gracious enough to give there opinion again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some on this board would like to see a sixth gear on the wing and some like it the way it is. Personally I would like to drop the rpms down a little on the interstate. My 2008 is pulling 3000 rpms at 68 mph (gps speed). Just seems like the power plant has plenty of torque for a sixth gear afording a lower more comfortable rpm for the slab.

If you do a search you will find this subject has been discussed before. Perhaps those members who chimed in before will be gracious enough to give there opinion again.
Thnaks! Before I posted I did a search but found nothing... After your post I tried again and found a thread... Oh well, sorry.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Thnaks! Before I posted I did a search but found nothing... After your post I tried again and found a thread... Oh well, sorry.
Not a problem on the ? Some would like another gear, some not. Keep asking your ??:yes1:

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a problem on the ? Some would like another gear, some not. Keep asking your ??:yes1:
I like your Ruger quote! :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
I used to be in the 'it needs another gear' camp for the reasons the OP stated but I've moved to the 'isn't neat how it doesn't have to be downshifted' to get into passing mode camp.

Many thought that when the new model changes with the move to Japan would include the extra gear.

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
I used to be in the 'it needs another gear' camp for the reasons the OP stated but I've moved to the 'isn't neat how it doesn't have to be downshifted' to get into passing mode camp.

Many thought that when the new model changes with the move to Japan would include the extra gear.
Same here, Farmguy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts