GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys I've read about tranny troubles so much I'm now concerned. I'm doing 50 mph(ish) approching a RED light so I pull in the clutch, start applying brakes and down shifting as I'm coasting towards red light. I click down two or three gears and the light turns green. I'm thinking I'm one gear to low so I upshift one apply throttle and release clutch. I hear this metal banging, motor reving God awful noise and instantly grab a handful of clutch and re-shift. I KNEW I had broken all the ends off of a gear but it ran and shifted good the rest of the way home. It has never ghost shifted or had any problems at all. Am I just paronoid or is this the beginning of the end?
08 with 26000 miles and 15 months left on the original factory warranty.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Spend the money on the extended warranty. I have an 08 w 27,000 miles and no problems but before Sept 30 I will fork over the loot for another 4 years of worry free riding. I just do not trust the beast. With horror stories about transmissions, electric switch failures, ECM boondogles I would rather spread the risk over the bucks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
bucfan,

how long of period of time,,was you actually hearing this grinding stuff going on?,,,5 seconds,,,20 seconds?.... Sounds like you were simply in between two gears.
Take the bike out and simply go through the entire range of gears upshifting at a normal accleration,,and then go through the full downshifting squence as well about 3 times each. Make sure you do FULL follow through shift action!...
As you explained,,,there,,you done somewhat of a 'ghost shifting' thing in that you were decelerating,,and clutching,,,then shifted back up,,,all in one shot. I bet your tranny is still OK...
If these occur as expected,,I would say you have nothing to worry about. I dont know of any other way of doing a diagnostics on something like this?

bc

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bucfan,

how long of period of time,,was you actually hearing this grinding stuff going on?,,,5 seconds,,,20 seconds?.... Sounds like you were simply in between two gears.
Take the bike out and simply go through the entire range of gears upshifting at a normal accleration,,and then go through the full downshifting squence as well about 3 times each. Make sure you do FULL follow through shift action!...
As you explained,,,there,,you done somewhat of a 'ghost shifting' thing in that you were decelerating,,and clutching,,,then shifted back up,,,all in one shot. I bet your tranny is still OK...
If these occur as expected,,I would say you have nothing to worry about. I dont know of any other way of doing a diagnostics on something like this?

bc
5 secs? He77 no! It lasted about a split second, long enough for me to hear it and react but with the engine going from 800 to 4000 RPM I figure it only takes a split second. Can you actually get in between two gears? Can I go out there and reproduce it? I've missed gears before (MX Bike) but I've never heard it clang and bang like that, every time I've ever missed a gear on a motorcycle its always went into a false neutral.

Rob

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
OK guys I've read about tranny troubles so much I'm now concerned. I'm doing 50 mph(ish) approching a RED light so I pull in the clutch, start applying brakes and down shifting as I'm coasting towards red light. I click down two or three gears and the light turns green. I'm thinking I'm one gear to low so I upshift one apply throttle and release clutch. I hear this metal banging, motor reving God awful noise and instantly grab a handful of clutch and re-shift. I KNEW I had broken all the ends off of a gear but it ran and shifted good the rest of the way home. It has never ghost shifted or had any problems at all. Am I just paronoid or is this the beginning of the end?
08 with 26000 miles and 15 months left on the original factory warranty.
Be it right or wrong I can say for sure but I do know when I'm out playing and for what ever reason I intentionally drop her down into neutral at just about any speed and later try and put her back up in a higher gear I will get the sound you are describing...

Again I can say this is supposed to be this way, all I can tell you is that mine has done this for over a year now...

I hope for your sake it is nothing wrong... :thumbup:

Good luck...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Write down the event as best as you can recall it and take it to the dealer. Now, it will be documented that there is/was a problem of "Some" sort. Have them look at it and it they do or do not find anything...it's documented!

I just did this with my very first "Ghost Shift" and they replaced the shift fork, cam and some other part at the front of the engine for free...and it is now ducumented as to what they did and the problem.

One year out of warranty and the extended has just paid for itself.

·
IronMan
17,672 Posts
your just finding honda's new 6 th gear

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
Is it possible you hit the rev limiter and that is what you heard? I would not describe it as metal, but rather a very rough running engine.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was not the rev limiter. It sounded like it was trying to engage but was being kicked out of gear and then trying to engage, etc, etc. NOT GOOD SOUND. I've put another 25 miles sense then and it runs fine. I'm not going to worry about it...for 15 months.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've had plenty of rough shifts in cars & bikes and never did irreparable damage to any of 'em.

If a user can destroy an transmission with a boo-boo shift, I'd expect to hear about a LOT more tranny replacements.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have had the same experience a couple of times over the last 3 years...it seems to just be a one time or very occasional thing...usually becasue I was not sure what gear I was in or forgot to shift and then tried to get to the right gear too quickly.

I also thought, damn now I have the tranny gremlin. But a month later of riding I had practically forgotten the event.

I would relax if I were you. Don't lose sleep over this...I was way too worried for several days until I started to realize it wasn't happening again.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
It was not the rev limiter. It sounded like it was trying to engage but was being kicked out of gear and then trying to engage, etc, etc. NOT GOOD SOUND. I've put another 25 miles sense then and it runs fine. I'm not going to worry about it...for 15 months.
I have a friend that has had a few incidents with his 06 tranny for a couple or years.But he refused to have it fixed.:eek:4:

He don't have to worry about that tranny anymore.It blew up,So he went out and bought a 2012 while the 06 is getting a it's tranny rebuilt and then it will be sold.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I have a friend that has had a few incidents with his 06 tranny for a couple or years.But he refused to have it fixed.:eek:4:

He don't have to worry about that tranny anymore.It blew up,So he went out and bought a 2012 while the 06 is getting a it's tranny rebuilt and then it will be sold.
Had to sugar coat it didn't you!:joke:

·
Registered
250 Posts

What would you say is the net $$ difference between "have it fixed" and "getting it rebuilt after it blowed up"?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts