GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me sir but I lost the PM and your contact info so I am posting the info here....

I suspect others can use this info as well...

If you transport your GL1800 or GL1500 on an open trailer and want a cover that is designed for this so it will not damage the paint, here is a direct link...

AND IT JUST WENT ON SALE a few hours ago!!

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=6965&str=0&mdl=&mdy=

Here is a similar cover.

I have had mine for a few years and LOVE IT! Used it on the wing and the Harley.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Does anyone know what type of trailer that is?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Thanks, ordered one, great timing for me. I recentlly bought an open trailer for making a trip to AZ. Too cold here when it is good riding there, so will need to trailer part way to get away from snow and ice.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Are you not afraid of the cover whipping in the wind and hitting the bike chaffing the paint?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sold out

What are you guys paying for these ?

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are you guys paying for these ?
The sale price was $69.

I didn't expect them to run out that quickly but I knew it was a great price which is why I posted it here. Being sold out is a bit of a bummer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Forgive me sir but I lost the PM and your contact info so I am posting the info here....

If you transport your GL1800 or GL1500 on an open trailer and want a cover that is designed for this so it will not damage the paint, here is a direct link...

Here is a similar cover.

I have had mine for a few years and LOVE IT! Used it on the wing and the Harley.
Was hoping to get one but as useal I'm too Late

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Gents,
I've ran that exact cover several times. Yep, it's a great cover for transport. It's about the consistency of a thick sleeping bag. Now, ours was on the bike, while the bike was carried on the back of our motor home. There is quite of bit of turbulence back there but, maybe not compared to being out in the open wind, on an open trailer. While it's definitely a nice, thick, non-etching cover, it's not without issues. The main problem is, it's not possible to "cinch" it up completely (as in underneath and securely around the back side of the front tire etc. to keep out all possible contaminates. So, whenever we used it, and I removed it to off-load the bike, the bike was fairly dirty with road dust etc.

As any of you have found out, there's multiple ways of tying down a Wing. When it was carried on the back of our coach, I used no less than 6 tie downs on it. Well, needless to say, you can picture how hard it was to really cover up as much as possible and make things tight. The main problem is, the tie downs interfere with the ability to wrap the cover underneath. Now, it does come with some reliefs for tie downs but, they're not in the right place. I was going to modify ours by carefully tracing where it needed to be cut for reliefs for the tie downs. Then, cut all of them, sew them up like button holes on shirts and then re-install it.

But, never got around to that. We now carry the Wing on a Rampage, in the back of our 2011 GMC Sierra 4x4 that we tow behind the coach. And, based again, on the tie points and amount of straps, that cover is just not going to work. I'd love to have that Wing completely sealed to keep out the elements, sun, and more but, it's just not possible without using an enclosed trailer. Oh well, washing it when needed is not that bad. So, I'll be selling that cover. I applaud anyone who makes it work for them. Good luck.
Scott

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
As you do I now use a Rampage lift, because the wife can't ride any more, I have noticed that even traveling in rain the bike doesn't get that dirty in the back of the pick-up...nothing like it did when we had to ride in the rain.

·
Registered
453 Posts

Here is a similar cover.

Thanks again. Mine has arrived. Great service!!

·
Registered
87 Posts
And now they're out of stock! See what spreading the word here does?

·
Registered
6,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At $69, they were out of stock within hours of me posting this.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ultragard Transport cover

I'm looking for the Transport Cover that been advertised by dealers, Wing Stuff says it"s been "discontinued from the manufacture" and Directline Parts is "out of stock". Any suggestions where I can find this or a similar product?:?:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts