GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking for suggestions.

My nephew graduated college (Cal Lutheran) & is now a 2nd lieutenant in the Marine Corps.

He is heading back to Quantico Virginia for training in September.

He has a Yamaha R6 crotch rocket. He needs to transport it from his college town in Thousand Oaks California to his parents in Portland Oregon (about 1,000 miles) before he heads back to training.

Any suggestions regarding the best way to get it there?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts
Just fly me out, put me on the bike and fly me home after I deliver the bike. If it's got 2 wheels I'll ride it. Ah, the life of retirement.>:)
But seriously, I've never shipped a bike but there seems to be very knowledgeable folks on this sight that will chime in with some good information soon. Good luck with the shipping.

·
Registered
343 Posts
transport

Just fly me out, put me on the bike and fly me home after I deliver the bike. If it's got 2 wheels I'll ride it. Ah, the life of retirement.>:)
But seriously, I've never shipped a bike but there seems to be very knowledgeable folks on this sight that will chime in with some good information soon. Good luck with the shipping.
probably the cheapest way to move it!

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
1000 Oaks to Portland would be a fun ride.... now...if you had said 1000 Oaks to Albuquerque...then yeah... ship that baby.

I'd suggest taking 3-5 days and enjoying a nice ride if you can find the time.....

Or...pay $300-500 to ship it.

But I'd totally ride it.

Reactions: gsinid and Tex-Ed

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. I would fly & ride if it was a more comfortable bike.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
My GoldWing has a R6 baby brother.
If I had to ride it 1000 miles, I'd rather walk.
Best trackday bike in the world though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wouldn't be too bad if broken up over several days. Then again, I have ridden superbikes Boise to Las Vegas (640 miles each way) round trip several times. ≈9 hours in the saddle is getting close to my limit for sure.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've used UShip for delivery of an enclosed m/c trailer and it was excellent. I just returned from Sturgis where many trucks from the shipper HaulBikes were there. I've seen them at many events and imagine they wouldn't be there if customers didn't like them.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've heard (don't know for sure) that Harley dealers will ship any bike from any Harley dealer to any other Harley dealer for a very reasonable price.
Is there someone in Portland to ride the bike to the parents' house?

On second thought, talk to a couple dealers in Thousand Oaks. They ship bikes all the time, may be able to have it shipped from the dealership. Dealerships want to minimize costs, but also can't abide having their bikes damaged in transit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts