GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well dropped of the girl to honda today. 5th gear gone. this si the 2nd time now. they said Honda probably wont pay but they will try hard to get them to.:bow: other wise big $$$ out of pocket, wife is pissed!:x i havnt been riding her hard so it cant be that. anyone else with this prob?:22yikes::shrug:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,216 Posts
I was afraid of this when I responded to your clutch? thread. I think you are the first one I've heard of with a tranny repeat failure. How many miles since the last rebuild? What were the symptoms the first time and now?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I find it hard to believe that there would be a second-time repair if Honda had done it right the first time.:oops:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
What type and weight oil are you using?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
same symptoms from th elast time this time i got the shop right away and only 25k since last time

·
Registered
660 Posts
This is the first I'm hearing that someone had this happen twice....

Is it the bent shift fork issue?

Was a bent shift fork the problem the first time around?

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
not bent broken off .
:shock:

I figured the source of the troubles were some spurratic improperly hardened shifter fork parts. But, it would be highly unlikely for such faulty parts to pass into the system again, so I was probably wrong.

I think it was Stu Oltman who seemed to believe it is operator error (improper shifting or use of a heel/toe shifter) that was the culprit.

The same problem occuring on the same bike twice?!?! Sorry and no intent to offend; but a betting man is likely going to cite operator error. I sure hope they cut ou some slack.

prs

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I hear a lot about heel/toe shifter but what has that got to do with it. What's the different if you shift with your toe or your heel, the shift lever gets raised into the next gear, Can you raise it WRONG???? :shrug:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Me too!!!!!

I just had my 2001 GL1800A's transmission rebuilt again too. Second gear shifting fork bent at 97,000 and then again at 164,000 miles. Honda covered the first rebuild under a goodwill warranty. The second one I paid for. What's up with that? Chris.......................

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
I hear a lot about heel/toe shifter but what has that got to do with it. What's the different if you shift with your toe or your heel, the shift lever gets raised into the next gear, Can you raise it WRONG???? :shrug:

With a heal toe shifter you can put your whole
body weight on the shifter for an up shift :shock:
which will destroy your shift forks (RIGHT
QUICK") I see it all the time in my shop!

if I was Honda I would NEVER fix a trany with
a heal toe shifter on it PERIOD"

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I am fairly certain that 99.9% of those running a H-T shifter are NOT using their "Whole Body Weight" to shift gears.

I had been led to believe that Wings were bullet proof. 250k miles out of them, with routine maintance every few thousand miles.

Turns out they have frames that are prone to crack, a suspension system that needs 2500 worth of upgrades to perform as the suspension on a 25000 dollar bike SHOULD perform, and transmissions that fail without warning.

Not sure if I want one, now.

·
Registered
477 Posts
+1 Honda can not be responsible for problems caused by after market parts. If so, who do you think really pays for the added expense - the rest of us. A Honda service manager once told me that Honda was cracking down on warranty repairs for transmissions on bikes with heel toe shifters. People can add them , but at the risk of being denied a warranty claim. I noticed that Honda does not offer heel toe shifters as an OEM accessory. I wonder why. Do we really beleive its because Honda does not want the money.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I am fairly certain that 99.9% of those running a H-T shifter are NOT using their "Whole Body Weight" to shift gears.

I had been led to believe that Wings were bullet proof. 250k miles out of them, with routine maintance every few thousand miles.

Turns out they have frames that are prone to crack, a suspension system that needs 2500 worth of upgrades to perform as the suspension on a 25000 dollar bike SHOULD perform, and transmissions that fail without warning.

Not sure if I want one, now.
Probably better that way. Just ride your Ultra and be happy.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
rancho honda has the bike, they are the onlyones that worked on the bike. and no i dont have healto shifter, hate them. i been riding for 25 years my shifting is not hard i know how to shift. "driver error " is the answer that all ways give so that dont have to pay for warrenty. i know i will not be buying another honda again. its been in the shop more than my freinds harlys.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
With a heal toe shifter you can put your whole
body weight on the shifter for an up shift :shock:
which will destroy your shift forks (RIGHT
QUICK") I see it all the time in my shop!

I have been running HT shifters for years. Sorry I disagree with you, if you install them right and ride the bike normally you will not have a problem. If there is damage I would tend to believe it is the way the operator is shifting the bike. Not the boards.
Kurt:thumbup:

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
My guess is that the root cause of the shifter fork bending was not addressed properly, and so the new one just did the same thing.

The dealer needs to do a more thorough examination of all the transmission components when they take it apart, and figure out what CAUSED the shifter fork to bend in the first place. Just putting in a new shift fork isn't going to fix it. There is a reason why they are bending, and Honda needs to analyze the failure down the root cause. In my opinion, Honda should send some experts out to the dealership to look at the transmission for themselves, but that would cost them big money and I doubt they will do it. But that is what we do with aircraft when problems like this arise. We assemble a team of experts and send them to where the problem is to do an investigation, and then they come back and engineer a proper fix, or change the design to correct whatever problem they found.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts