GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when you travel with your puter ? Do you carry a J-45 connector wire with you for high speed ? Even tho I have WiFi how would I connect while staying in a Motel ? Right now at home I've connected a wireless router and can go to any room and out in the garage, but thats hooking to my own network. Is there a certain standard ? Or protocall out there ?
I've never done this, sooooo I'm a newbie to computing on the road........ :)

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I carry a retractable RJ45 with me because some hotels still use wired Internet connections, especially outside the US..
NOTE: If you need connections on the road, many bookstores and coffee shops offer free access, many Hotel lobbies also have free connections.. If your laptop has an Intel Pro chipset, you will have better luck connecting from the parking lots! Wink, wink....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Since you have a wireless in use at home you should have everything you need to connect at a motel/hotel. Depending on your system you may have to set a new profile for your security, but it should ask you automatically for that. (generally you will have a connection protocol set for your home net to keep neighbors etc from accessing it, hotels do not generally have anything, although they may provide a password)

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Most chain hotels have wireless access now. If they have wired internet they usually provide the cables.. But it wouldn't hurt to call ahead and find out.. Some of them will SELL you a cable..

The SSID for the hotel net is usually on an instruction card in the room, or the desk clerks will tell you what it is.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
As the others have said, most Hotels appear to be setup for wireless now but I bring a cable with me, JIC.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I think that more and more business are offering wireless. Our local McDonalds even has one. Rest areas are upgrading, and Pittsburgh, as a city is providing it free thru-out the downtown area. I rarely ever had a problem with a signal from PA to Wyoming. It's pretty neat technology. I downloaded my pix everyday from the middle of nowhere to the home computer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts