GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife carole and i would like to fly out to Arizona and rent a goldwing .but we are unsure of when is the good time to go to Arizona and when not to go..
the places we would like to see are sedona , grand canyon and some others.. not be very familar with the area would someone please suggest what when and where...
thank you in advance

jack

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
The low deserts (Phoenix, Colorado River Valley, Yuma, Tucson) warm up first and by May it is usually hot during the day (90's) but evenings and nights are comfortable. June-September are very hot with the possibility of monsoon thunderstorms July-August. October can be either hot or cool and by November it is cooling off during the day and getting chilly, for us, at night.

The high deserts (most of southern Arizona) and the plateau country (NE Arizona) tend to be hot only in the mid-summer months and cool to cold during the remainder of the year. Wind in these areas is common.

The mountains (southern tip of the Rockies and the White Mountains in the eastern part of the state) are cool in summer and tend to get afternoon rains. By the end of September it is getting pretty chilly at night and heavy snow can happen almost anytime.

The Grand Canyon south rim tends to be warmer than the north and it warms up substantially as you hike down into the canyon (about a mile deep). Don't try to bike it in the winter. The north rim is much more remote and significant snow can close that road without notice.

If you are coming this time of year and sightseeing in the daytime you can travel all over the mid portion of the state (Sedona, Valley of the Sun, Tucson, and all those lakes, short mountains and old western/mining towns in between - including Tombstone and Bisbee). More than enough to keep you busy.

You can hit the G.C. now too but would strongly suggest you rent a car. Also, don't forget Page, the Navajo reservation and Lake Powell for sights you won't see anywhere else. But do it in a car unless you wait until Spring.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions. We have a bunch of Arizonians on this board who all have plenty of suggestions on what to do and where to go.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Another choice is to fly to Las Vegas and ride through the national parks in Utah, then swing back by the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff and Sedona. You can rent Wings in Vegas and you only have to ride about 5 miles before you start great scenery. Great roads, little traffic and spectacular scenery. Middle to end of May or mid-September to Halloween are two good times. Makes a great four to six day ride. Let me know if you want to see map and pics.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
How much will you pay me to ride your bike out there? It will be all ready for you when you get there.

·
Registered
310 Posts
We vacationed there the last week of April and the first week of May in 2004. If you are going to Flagstaff and the South Rim I wouldn't go any earlier than that. There was still patches of snow on the North slopes and in the trees at around 7,000 feet. Take all types of clothing and be prepared for every type of weather. Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon are must see's. If you go to Sedona be sure to drive up to the scenic overlook by the airport. It has a million dollar view of the city and the hills. They had forest fires in Oak Creek Canyon last year so I'm not sure how scenic it will be. We also went over to Meteor Crater and thought it was kind of a bust. Just a big hole in the ground out in the middle of no where. It sort of reminded me of a strip mine.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
In Tucson I ride almost everyday to/from work - mid 30's in the early morning, 70ish in the afternoon right now. For me spring and fall are the very best times to ride but I prefer spring when the desert is in bloom. This past weekend was in the 70's and lots of bikes were on the road. I would stay away from summer riding unless you are used to the heat. And check with the Blue Sky people - they have Wings mixed in with the HD's.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Geeze said:
.....We also went over to Meteor Crater and thought it was kind of a bust. Just a big hole in the ground out in the middle of no where. It sort of reminded me of a strip mine.
Did you sit through the presenation on how the Crater was formed? I guess I'm easily amused because both my wife and I found the Crater very interesting.

While you were in the area, did you go to Winslow and Stand on The Corner?

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Meteor Crater is one of the outstanding points of interest in AZ. You just don't see this sort of thing anywhere else except on the Discovery Channel.

The absence of significant population nearby makes it possible to view the remnents of the impact even 25,000 years later.

I used to visit when you were allowed to hike down to the bottom. Wasn't much there then compared to now but the hike was interesting (and a bit breathtaking).

Guess it's a geology thing.

·
Registered
47 Posts
heh

Here's a trip:

PM me if you want more details.

Phoenix to Wickenburg then to Prescott, over to Jerome and down to Cottonwood, over to Sedona up Oak Creek Canyon to Flagstaff, west to the south rim turn off or east to Winslow and the meteor crater (could do both). Could do the whole thing in a long day...easily in 2 days. I'm guessing (wildly) about 400 - 500 miles or so.

You'll see lots of history, indian stuff with minor detours, mountains, pines, vistas and all that tourist stuff. Plus! Flagstaff has Northern Arizona University where hairy legged tree-hugging lesbians abound!!

I would do it in May or June for the northern stuff. Prior too cold, later too hot.

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
And if hairy-legged tree-hugging lesbians from NAU aren't your thing....you can visit Walnut Canyon just east of Flagstaff and walk along a path ancient indians carved into the side of the canyon. You actually walk through the remains of their stone structures. Very interesting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I checked an I had NO PM's

So blow me. I'd have given you the coolest ride directions but it's all good.

8)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Go to this website and you will find a lot of useful information.
http://www.cyclerides.com/rides/dayrides/dayrides.htm

jake4440 said:
my wife carole and i would like to fly out to Arizona and rent a goldwing .but we are unsure of when is the good time to go to Arizona and when not to go..
the places we would like to see are sedona , grand canyon and some others.. not be very familar with the area would someone please suggest what when and where...
thank you in advance

jack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts