GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All -
I'm thinking of making a trip this spring to Galveston (trying to escape storm #27 which will then be hitting Denver).
Can anyone familiar with the area highlight some (any?) of the interesting and/or curious / fun things to do in the area?
Thanks in advance.

And, to keep this Wing related, my poor Wing hasn't been on the highway since late November. But, on the other hand, my new Craftsman snow-thrower will be getting some action this weekend!

·
Registered
120 Posts
not too familiar with galveston, but....if the trip is half the fun then u must come by way of1)big bend 2)pass thu the texas hill country and 3) make a stop in san antonio(river walk).if u pass this way and miss these , you will regret later.

about the only thing i can say about the galveston area is the johnson space center is a must. its just off i45 between houston and galveston.

hope yall have a nice visit

mark

·
Registered
999 Posts
I live about 25 miles north of Glaveston. Some of the things that come to mind (shotgunning, since I have no idea where your interest lay.)
In Galveston:
1. Strand shopping district: restored warehouse district with "neat" shops and restaurants.
2. Sailing vessel Elyssa museum: turn of the century sailing ship restored and acutally sailed from time to time
3. Bolivar ferry: free ferry across the Galveston ship channel to the Bolivar pennisula. Beaches, often dolphin viewing from the ferry
4. Lots of good seafood restaurants along the seawall (along Gulf of Mexico beaches)
5. Seawolf park: exhibit and tours of WW-II submarine and destroyer
6. There are fising "party boats" if you like to fish with half (in Galvston bay) and full day (off-shore) trips.

Near Galveston:
1. Space Center Houston (25 miles north) at the NASA Johnson Space Center with a nice exhibit area, IMAX theatre, tours of Mission Control and several other areas (where astronauts are trained, spacecraft designed and tested.) (Where I used to work at NASA).
2. Kemah Boardwalk (near JSC) with several interesting restaurants (the Aquarium is really pretty, food is ho-hum), almost a carnival like atmoshpere with a few rides, arcades and shopping.
3. One personal favorite. If you go to Kemah to visit the Boardwalk and would like one of the better chicken-fried steaks, go to "T-Bone Tom;s" which is on TX-146 just off the Boardwalk. Not fancy but better than decent eatin.

There probably are lots more that others will jump in with. If you decide to come, drop me a note and I'll rattle my brain some more

·
Registered
25 Posts
I live north of Galvaston. When you get ready to come down send me an email and I would be happy to give the tour and show you some GREAT roads to ride that are close to Galveston.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clarification -

If / when we come down Galveston way, we'll be flying, not Winging ( :( much to my dismay :( ). Historically, April is the 2nd snowiest month in Colorado and there's every chance that we'd either get hit coming or going if we were on the Wing.
But thanks for the "great roads / great rides" offers. :D :D
So far, the information posted has been beneficial. Please keep it up. 8)
BTW - we're likely to be staying on Seawall Rd on the beach - so stuff to do in the immediate area is great too. :)
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Suggestion: search the city web site and write the Chamber of Commerce for info packages...don't forget Corpus Christie if you have the time. The Big Bend and hill country idea is a good one. Take Hwy 90 out of El Paso (not IH10). Stay in Marfa and then take Hwy 67 south to Presidio, east on the River Road, (Hwy 170) to Lajitas, brouse around, but too expensive to stay there. Ride around Terlingua a few minutes, on to Big Bend. Go to the Chisos Basin cafe for something to eat. Gas is available at Study (Stoo dy) Butte and at the Hwy 170 and Hwy 285. Head North on 285 to Marathon. Take 90 on over to Bracketville. Take hwy 334 to 55, north to Camp Wood, 337 to Leaky (lake e) 336 north to 41, east to 83, back to Leaky, stop at the Frio Canyon Motorcycle Stop in Leaky (Hwy 337, l block west of Hwy 83) then 337 to Vanderpool, (great bike museum two miles north on 187, back to Vanderpool, east on 337 to Medina, 16 south to Bandera and 16 on in to San Antonio. Need more or if you have questions, email me at [email protected]. Put Galveston in the subject.

·
Registered
255 Posts
jimwinger said:
I live about 25 miles north of Glaveston. Some of the things that come to mind (shotgunning, since I have no idea where your interest lay.)
In Galveston:
1. Strand shopping district: restored warehouse district with "neat" shops and restaurants.
2. Sailing vessel Elyssa museum: turn of the century sailing ship restored and acutally sailed from time to time
3. Bolivar ferry: free ferry across the Galveston ship channel to the Bolivar pennisula. Beaches, often dolphin viewing from the ferry
4. Lots of good seafood restaurants along the seawall (along Gulf of Mexico beaches)
6. There are fising "party boats" if you like to fish with half (in Galvston bay) and full day (off-shore) trips.

Near Galveston:
1. Space Center Houston (25 miles north) at the NASA Johnson Space Center with a nice exhibit area, IMAX theatre, tours of Mission Control and several other areas (where astronauts are trained, spacecraft designed and tested.) (Where I used to work at NASA).
2. Kemah Boardwalk (near JSC) with several interesting restaurants (the Aquarium is really pretty, food is ho-hum), almost a carnival like atmoshpere with a few rides, arcades and shopping.
3. One personal favorite. If you go to Kemah to visit the Boardwalk and would like one of the better chicken-fried steaks, go to "T-Bone Tom;s" which is on TX-146 just off the Boardwalk. Not fancy but better than decent eatin.

There probably are lots more that others will jump in with. If you decide to come, drop me a note and I'll rattle my brain some more
Add Moody Gardens to this and you just about have it all. Moody Gardens is not far off of the sea wall and the rain forest is really nice.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
If you have'nt made your lodgeing choice, checkout the TIKI Resort. "The TIKI".com

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I too live about 30 miles north of Galveston. Jimwinger did a great job of covering the attractions. Hope you enjoy the vacation!

·
Registered
19,065 Posts
jimwinger said:
In Galveston:

Near Galveston:

This post nailed Galveston. Also ride east and west along the coast

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Mr. Bill; I'm from Denver myself, but now residing in League City, just north of Galveston, but still in Galveston County. The League City exit is the road you turn on, from I-45 to go to Kemah. In addition to all the great suggestions above, here are some of my thoughts:

Not sure what you are looking for in Galveston that brings you here, but don't miss an opportunity to try some of the TexMex here in Texas. Food and eating is big down here. There is a pretty new TexMex called Chico's Paradise on 5th and Seawall, I enjoyed it. Also, crossing the Ferry to Bolivar and about 8 or 10 miles east is a great mom and pop called the Outrigger that is good for breakfast. Another place if you have the time is Richards on the Bay, way south on the Island. My wife enjoyed the ride on the wing and dinner there a couple months ago. Finally, try out the Mosquito Grill on 14th on Galveston, great for lunch or dinner.

Try going on a tour of Haak Winery located in Santa Fe, Texas. In April they may even be having some "events" like concerts or parties. If your wife is anything like mine there is an outlet mall located on I-45 in La Marque and the large mall at Bay Area Blvd, west of I-45 (bleeeaaahh!). Of course as mentioned above the Strand is the in place for browsing the local wares.

The best beaches on Galveston are probably Stewart Beach, located right where you turn off seawall for the ferry and way south. I have to say beach going isn't a big thing here though, but you'll be late in the main spring break events, so there will be lots of opportunity for people watching. You can also rent a pedal bike or cart and pedal up and down the seawall.

I am sure there are more opportunities, but I can't come up with any more at the moment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
May I suggest the 1894 Opera House

I would check out the website for the 1894 Opera House in Galveston. They have a wide variety of shows, and it is really a neat venue. Their website is www.thegrand.com See if the dates you will be there has something you would enjoy. You won't regret it, and it's only a couple blocks off the Historic Strand. :) Welcome to TEXAS

76 Posts
The Lone Star Flight Museum located next to Moody Gardens is home to one of the largest collections of WWII aircraft that are in flying condition. They host an anual airshow, I belive in April , that is worth seeing. The museum allows you to get up close to the planes on display along with a few cars, trucks and motorcycles from that era.

The Dog Track ,about ten miles North of Galveston is pretty cheap entertainment.

Casey's on the sea wall has excelent seafood and casual attire, The Original Mexican Resturant on 14th. street is one of Galvestons oldest and also has good food. I think most everything else has been covered by others. If you need anyother info, search the State of Texas web site ,they have pretty good tourist info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts